BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
forumsguy
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

My requirement is to create new dataset based on two macro variables. There are two macro variables present one to have variable list and another to have format of the variables.. So

Code : %PUT OUTPUT_VARIABLE_NAME IS &OUTPUT_VARIABLE;

Log : OUTPUT_VARIABLE_NAME IS ACCOUNT_ID  DEFAULT_MONTH  OUTCOME  OUTCOME_MONTH DEFAULT_CURRENT_BALANCE

OUTCOME_CURRENT_BALANCE

Code : %PUT OUTPUT_VARIABLE_FORMAT is &OUTPUT_VARIABLE_FORMAT;

OUTPUT_VARIABLE_FORMAT IS $20. $6. $20. $6. best12. best12.

So my requirement is something like this

DATA NEW(Keep=&OUTPUT_VARIABLE_NAME);

FORMAT &OUTPUT_VARIABLE_NAME &OUTPUT_VARIABLE_FORMAT);

RUN;

Please suggest any solution.

6 REPLIES 6
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

That syntax is not going to work in a FORMAT statement but it will work in an INPUT statement.

%let OUTPUT_VARIABLE_NAME = ACCOUNT_ID  DEFAULT_MONTH  OUTCOME  OUTCOME_MONTH DEFAULT_CURRENT_BALANCE;
%PUT OUTPUT_VARIABLE_NAME IS &OUTPUT_VARIABLE_NAME;
%let OUTPUT_VARIABLE_FORMAT = $20. $6. $20. $6. best12. best12.;
%PUT OUTPUT_VARIABLE_FORMAT is &OUTPUT_VARIABLE_FORMAT;

DATA NEW(Keep=&OUTPUT_VARIABLE_NAME);
   stop;

input (&OUTPUT_VARIABLE_NAME) (&OUTPUT_VARIABLE_FORMAT);
   cards;

;;;;
   run;
proc contents varnum;

run;
WaltSmith
Fluorite | Level 6

Here's a macro and a sample of how to use it that should help:

options mprint nosource;
%macro Make_Fmt_Stmts( varlist, fmtlist );
   %local done i;
   %let done = notyet;
   %do %until(&done=DONE);
      %let i = %eval( &i +1 );
      %let var = %qscan( &varlist, &i, %str( ));
      %let fmt = %qscan( &fmtlist, &i, %str( ));
      %if ( %length(&var) = 0 ) %then %let done = DONE;
      %else  format &var &fmt %str(;);
   %end;
%mend;
data new;
   set sashelp.class;
   %Make_Fmt_Stmts( name sex age height weight, $9. $1. 3. 6.2 6.2 )
run;
proc contents data=new;
proc print data=new;
run;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Just a comment prompted by your example formats.  There is very little value from adding $nn. formats to character variables. And there is potential for a lot of confusion down the road if you merge those datasets with others where the length of the variables are different.  You could end up with the situation where the format is different length than the variable.  So it could result it values not displaying or being used in statistical procs because of truncation.

WaltSmith
Fluorite | Level 6

you're kidding me right?

In an example designed to show formatting a list of variables with a list of formats you're fussing about which formats are used? I suppose I could have used a custom format, undefined and unaddressed in the request - or some other character format native to SAS but certainly not the type of format that was expressly specified in the request!!??

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You are right.

But it is a serious problem.  If you run proc freq on a 10 character variable that has accidentally had $6. format attached to it you could end up with fewer categories than you should.  Plus there was just another issue today highlighting that PROC SQL is lacks the ability to clear attached formats. 

WaltSmith
Fluorite | Level 6

A far more relevant criticism would be that I use two macro variables that were not explicitly declared to be local and thereby have the potential to influence the parent environment. I should have added the following line:

%local var fmt;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation