DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Reading Raw Data File with Column Headings

SAS Employee

Reading Raw Data File with Column Headings

Hi,

If my raw data file (csv or fixed length file) contains column headings in the first row, can I use a infile, input statement to read in the column headings as my sas variable names?

Thanks!
Trusted Advisor

Re: Reading Raw Data File with Column Headings

Posted in reply to huikeng_sas
You can in EGuide. I'm not sure if it is easy to do in base SAS.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

What OS is SAS running under - can you use PROC IMPORT?

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
SAS Employee

If customer didnt license Acc to PC File Formats, he will not be able to use proc import. So, is there a way that he can work around using infile, input statements without specifying the column names in the input statements?

Thanks!
Valued Guide

Nicole

except on zOS MVS-type mainframes

for a raw file, the SAS EFI accessed on the main SAS File-menu option Import-Data (aka "Import wizard" which uses proc import when needed) can help, even without licensing SAS/ACCESS to PC file formats.
I prefer a data step (simple example at http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=13449㒉 ), but you get more support and prompting from EFI.

If you need prompt support, SAS Enterprise Guide is even better. See that forum at http://support.sas.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=10 .

Because of the restrictions that apply to variable names, I don't dynamically load these names, just paste the list from the file into my program and use the editor to "clean up" the problems

PeterC Message was edited by: Peter.C (who forgot not all platforms have SAS EFI and proc import)
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation