BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rfarmenta
Obsidian | Level 7

Is there a way to read a password protected excel file into SAS? I have seen some code (DDE I believe) but it seems overly complicated. I was wondering if there were other ways to read in password protected files. Thank you! 

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

I think DDE is the only way. Another possibility may be using and ODBC connection method. Also seems complicated though. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
The obvious (?) solution is not to use password protected files, it has quite a few cons.
Use file system authorization instead for file protection.
Data never sleeps
rfarmenta
Obsidian | Level 7

We actually did not have a choice as the file was sent to us as a password protected file due to the sensitive nature of the data. I am just using the DDE code to work with the files. Thank you

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Password is not considered safe, it just hinders accidental viewing.
DDE is old technology and is not even supported by Microsoft. So i think that should be avoided in all applications whenever possible.
Sftp or similar method is safer.
Data never sleeps
AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

We added this feature to Data Controller today - just upload the excel, enter the password, approve the change, and your password-protected excel data is now in your target SAS table ready to process.

Works on ALL versions of SAS (Viya, EBI, Base) and is free for up to 5 users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2lfBCkdvBI

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation