BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TorTheHammer
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello dear SAS community. 

I have a real struggle at the moment, and I'm running out of time. 
To make things short: I want for each year, rank all firms by X for that year. But only max "5 Ranks" fo reach year, and start in year 1968 for example, and repeat it each year.
For example: 
FirmID YEAR  VAR_X   WANT 
1000    1965     9            3   4 (69)
1000    1966    10           2  3(69)
1000    1967    11           1 2(69)
1000    1968    12           1(69)
1000    1969    16           
1000    1970    19
1000    1971    20
1000    1972    21  

XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

BUT the problem starts when I'm doing this in year 1969, since it contains a "rank" variable in pre 68's.

5 REPLIES 5
mkeintz
PROC Star

What precisely does the WANT value  [  3 4 (60) ] mean in the data line for 1965.

FirmID YEAR  VAR_X   WANT 
1000    1965     9            3   4 (69)

It appears you want, for each year, to

1.  Rank the preceding 4 ( preceding 5?) years.  I notice for the "(69)" you don't actually assign a rank value to the 1969 data.
  2. Assign those ranks to those preceding years.

This means you would want, for each year t, 4 RANK vars  

1. RANK_0 = rank of X(t) among  x{t-3}, x{t-2}, x{t-1}, x{t}
  2. RANK_1 = rank of X{t} among  x{t-2} x{t-1}, x{t}, x{t+1}
  3. ...
  4. RANK_3 = rank of x{t} among  x{t}, t{t+1}, x{t+2}, x{t+3};

Is that what you mean?

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

mkeintz
PROC Star

Also, what rank do you want to assign when there are ties in the x values?

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for

TorTheHammer
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, this is what I want. Sorry for bad "writing" about it 🙂 

Sorry for asking rude, but can you help me about it?:)

ballardw
Super User

I think it may help to provide a little more raw input data and how you want the result at the end of the process. You say " for each year" but your example only has one year of ranks (apparently).

Also please explain where you got your "want" values from. If 3 is supposed to be Rank, how did you get 3? The value of 9 for VAR_x is the smallest shown so I would expect it to be either 1 (if you want to rank or increasing values of var_x) or not ranked if looking at decreaseing values. And what is 4?

How do you get 2 values of 1? Are you perhaps missing a bunch of different variables to hold multiple periods of consideration but didn't show them?

mkeintz
PROC Star

The DATA WANT step below does what I think you want.  If there are ties among the X's being ranked, then it produces the average of the lowest and highest rank assigned to the X value:

It works by:

1. Reading in each record for a gien FIRMID and storing X in an array, indexed on year, with a lowest bound 1960 and highest bound of 2010.  This assumes that the lowest observable year is 1963 and the highest observed year is 2010.
  2. When the end of a firmid is encountered, then, in a loop, reread each year, and capture the rank of its X value versus (1) years YEAR-3 through YEAR for RANK_), (2) years YEAR-2 through YEAR+1 for RANK_1, etc.

data have;
  input FirmID YEAR  X;
  output;
  firmid=2000; if mod(_n_,2)=0 then x=x-2; output;
datalines;
1000    1965     9
1000    1966    10
1000    1967    11
1000    1968    12
1000    1969    16           
1000    1970    19
1000    1971    20
1000    1972    21  
run;
proc sort; by firmid year;run;

data want (drop=_:);
  array _x{1960:2010} _temporary_;
  set have (keep=firmid year x );
  by firmid;
  if first.firmid then call missing(of _x{*});
  _x{year}=x;   /* Fill the _X array */

label rank_0 = "Rank of current X for Current Year-3 through Current Year"
        rank_1 = "Rank of current X for Current Year-2 through Current Year+1"
        rank_2 = "Rank of current X for Current Year-1 through Current Year+2"
        rank_3 = "Rank of current X for Current Year   through Current Year+3" ;
  array rnk{0:3} rank_0-rank_3;

if last.firmid then do until (last.firmid);
    set have ;
    by firmid;
    do _r=0 to 3;
      do                     _rank_beg=1         by 1 until (largest(_rank_beg  ,_x{year+_r-3},_x{year+_r-2},_x{year+_r-1},_x{year+_r-0})=x);end;
      if _rank_beg<4 then do _rank_end=_rank_beg to 3 while (largest(_rank_end+1,_x{year+_r-3},_x{year+_r-2},_x{year+_r-1},_x{year+_r-0})=x);end;
      else _rank_end=4;
      rnk{_r}=(_rank_beg+_rank_end)/2;
    end;
    output;
  end;
run;

Editted addition.  To deal with possible ties for X, you see two consecutive loops

DO _RANK_BEG= 1 by 1 until (.....);

IF _RANK_BEG<4 then DO _RANK_END=_RANK_BEG to 3 WHILE (.....);

If you expect no ties in X, you could replace them with a single loop: 

DO RNK{_r}=1 by 1 until (largest(rnk{_r},_x{year+_r-3},_x{year+_r-2},_x{year+_r-1},_x{year+_r-0})=x);

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation