BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lhsumdalum
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

I have an array of length n, for example : 

ARRAY _Example{*} 6$ EXA001: 

I want to randomly select an element of the array. Is there an easy or straight forward way of achieving this? 

The larger scope of this issue is that I want to assign a random element of the the array (map the element for example EXA004) to a dataset. Essentially, randomly assign one of the elements of the array to an ID variable. 

Any insight into this issue would be much appreciated. 

Cheers. 

8 REPLIES 8
Astounding
PROC Star

Assuming that the syntax for the array statement gets fixed ...

data want;

set have;

array _Example {*} whatever goes here;

r = ceil( dim(_Example) * ranuni(12345) ) ;

randomly_selected_element = _Example{r};

run;

The variable R will be a randomly selected integer, minimum is 1 and maximum is number of elements in the array.

lhsumdalum
Obsidian | Level 7

The test that I tried with this logic will not populate the random_element column with the array element. 

data test; 
	array _Example{*} $6. TEST01-TEST10 ; 
	r = ceil(dim(_Vendor) * ranuni(12345)); 
	random_element = _Example{r}; 
run; 

Random_Element.PNG

I appreciate your help, please bear with me as I am a new SAS user.

Reeza
Super User

You don't have a SET statement. Don't you have an input dataset?

lhsumdalum
Obsidian | Level 7
I do have an input dataset that I want to map the elements of the value column in the above example to. However, I needed to create the array myself. I was planning on using a proc sql to join the elements of the value column to the existing data set.
Reeza
Super User

You lost me now. 

I still suspect you need to add the SET statement. 

OR if you're creating a new data set from scratch you need a loop with an output statement.

do i=1 to 1000; *number of records;
x= .... ;
output;
end;

Reeza
Super User

1. Generate a random uniform variable between 1 and 6. This assumes you're using SAS 9.4 TS1M4+, if you don't, use the approach outlined here

rand_int = rand('Integer', 1, 6);

2. Use that index in the array to map the value over. 

value = _example(rand_int);

@lhsumdalum wrote:

Hi, 

I have an array of length n, for example : 

ARRAY _Example{*} 6$ EXA001: 

I want to randomly select an element of the array. Is there an easy or straight forward way of achieving this? 

The larger scope of this issue is that I want to assign a random element of the the array (map the element for example EXA004) to a dataset. Essentially, randomly assign one of the elements of the array to an ID variable. 

Any insight into this issue would be much appreciated. 

Cheers. 

lhsumdalum
Obsidian | Level 7

Is it possible to replace the hard-coded upper bound of 6 with the unspecified dimension of the array? To continue your example, as such:

rand_int = rand('Integer', 1, dim(_Example));
Reeza
Super User

I don't know, did it work?

@lhsumdalum wrote:

Is it possible to replace the hard-coded upper bound of 6 with the unspecified dimension of the array? To continue your example, as such:

rand_int = rand('Integer', 1, dim(_Example));

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation