BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
nstdt
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I previously generated two stratified random sample  Train and Validation data-sets using a fixed seed value(=1234).

However, on a subsequent run of the same code, I am unable to replicate the same data-sets exactly.

I find that on this second run, some records in the original train set are now in validation and vice versa.The number of rows in each Train and Validation pair is a constant, though (each time its 12,475 and 3098 rows each).

Could this be due to some weird sort order in the input data being different? I can't think of anything else.

Here is roughly the code I used:

proc sort data=overall_new;
by A B C D; /* A,B,C,D are strata variables */
run;

proc surveyselect data=overall_new
out=sorted_intime
noprint
seed=1234
method=srs
samprate=80
outall;
strata A B C D; 
run;
/*Train data - 12475 rows*/
data local.intime_TR0516;
set sorted_intime;
if selected =1;
run;
/*Validation data - 3098 rows*/
data local.intime_VAL0516;
set sorted_intime;
if selected =0;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

If the base data set was manipulated in a way that affected the order then sorting by the strata variables could well result in a different order of the actual records of the data set. So with the data in a different order, though possibly slight, the resulting selection is different as the selection should get the same row-order records.

See this brief example:

data example;
   input strata value;
datalines;
1  1
2 2
1  4
2 6
1  5
2 18
1  34
2 0
;
run;

proc sort data=example;
  by strata;
run;
proc print data=example;
  title "Order ofter first sort";
run;  title;

proc sort data=example;
  by descending value;
run;

proc sort data=example;
  by strata;
run;

proc print data=example;
  title "Order ofter other sorts;";
run;  title;

Exercise for the interested reader to select 2 records per strata from the set in different orders to see the difference in selection.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

If the base data set was manipulated in a way that affected the order then sorting by the strata variables could well result in a different order of the actual records of the data set. So with the data in a different order, though possibly slight, the resulting selection is different as the selection should get the same row-order records.

See this brief example:

data example;
   input strata value;
datalines;
1  1
2 2
1  4
2 6
1  5
2 18
1  34
2 0
;
run;

proc sort data=example;
  by strata;
run;
proc print data=example;
  title "Order ofter first sort";
run;  title;

proc sort data=example;
  by descending value;
run;

proc sort data=example;
  by strata;
run;

proc print data=example;
  title "Order ofter other sorts;";
run;  title;

Exercise for the interested reader to select 2 records per strata from the set in different orders to see the difference in selection.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation