BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

As many will attest, my mathematical abilities aren't great. My instincts aren't bad, but when I have to go beyond the delights of ones and zeroes, I'm prone to make mistakes.

About six months ago I started hacking my way through https://projecteuler.net. I got stuck at about problem 30, and pretty much gave up. I was coding up the solutions in Apple's Swift - actually the reason was to teach myself to be a better Swift programmer.

A couple of days ago I thought I'd have another go, and happened across problem 179 (https://projecteuler.net/problem=179), which reads:

Find the number of integers 1 < n < 107, for which n and n + 1 have the same number of positive divisors. For example, 14 has the positive divisors 1, 2, 7, 14 while 15 has 1, 3, 5, 15.

I wrote a solution which was taking ages (I gave up after thirty minutes), then I thought about it, recoded it and it came down to nine seconds.

While I was out walking the dog today, I thought about writing it in SAS. When I came home I fired up SAS Studio on my Mac (I love being able to do that!) and hacked out the following code, using a hash table and 'by - notsorted'. The hash population takes 2'31", but the analysis steams through in four seconds.

I'm ridiculously proud of: count + not(last.divisors);

data _null_;
	length i 8;
	length divisors 4;
	max=1e7;
	dcl hash divhash(hashexp: log2(max), ordered: 'a');
	divhash.definekey('i');
	divhash.definedata('i', 'divisors');
	divhash.definedone();
	i=1;
	divisors=1;
	divhash.add();

do i=2 to max;
		divisors=2;       /* All numbers > 1 have two divisors */
		rc=divhash.add();
	end;

do j=2 to int(max / 2);
		do i=j * 2 to max by j;
			rc=divhash.find();
			divisors + 1;
			rc=divhash.replace();
		end;
	end;
	divhash.output(dataset: 'divisors');
	stop;
run;

data _null_;
	set divisors nobs=max end=eof;
	by divisors notsorted;
	retain count 0;
	format max count comma14.;
	count + not(last.divisors);

if eof;
	put 'There are ' count +(-1) ' consecutive positive divisors between 1 and ' 
		max +(-1) '.';
run;

There are always so many ways to skin a cat. I could have done it in one step by setting up an array instead of the hash. But I wanted to take advantage of by-group processing.

You know the old criticism of "some people have too much time on their hands"? Sometimes I like being "some people".

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@LaurieF wrote:

You know the old criticism of "some people have too much time on their hands"? Sometimes I like being "some people".

If it wasn't for that, I'd probably not be posting here 😉

Ksharp
Super User
Ha. You should forward this url to @Rick_SAS . I bet he gonna love it . If you want fast algorithm , I think you should pick up all the prime number in it firstly.
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

The straight programming style (not SAS-specific) was much more efficient: 5.59 seconds.

%let max = 10000000;

data _null_;
	length i 8;
	max=&max;
	array divisors[&max] 4 _temporary_;
	divisors[1]=1;

do i=2 to max;
		divisors[i]=2;
	end;

do j=2 to int(dim(divisors) / 2);
		do i=j * 2 to max by j;
			divisors[i] + 1;
		end;
	end;

count = 0;
	do i = 2 to dim(divisors) - 1;
	   count + divisors[i] = divisors[i + 1];
	   end;
	format max count comma14.;
	put 'There are ' count +(-1) ' consecutive positive divisors between 1 and ' 
		max +(-1) '.';
    stop;   
run;

But not as much fun.

Ksharp
Super User
Sorry. Forget what I said, I totally have no idea about it.
Your algorithm is amazing . I don't how it work .
I love that URL .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation