BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
a079011
Obsidian | Level 7

Produce dataset, placing variables in specific columns (mainframe)

I have a work file with 4 variables, when using PROC PRINTTO SAS puts by variables in columns;

PROC PRINTTO PRINT = output;          

PROC PRINT U DATA = final_report NOOBS;

VAR date dy job cc1;               

Results;

The SAS System                                                        

date           dy      job                    cc1                                    

12/19/16   MO    PDMGCD97    00000008

12/19/16   MO    PDMGHD68    00002947

Date starts in col 01

Dy starts in col 13

Job start is col 20

Cc1 start in col 32

Desired;

The SAS System                    

date   dy job      cc1                  

12/19/16 MO PDMGCD97 00000008

12/19/16 MO PDMGHD68 00002947

Date starts in col 01

Dy starts in col 11

Job start is col 15

Cc1 start in col 25

I can easily do this with DATA _NULL_ but I need to keep the work file. It is needed in the next step. I am using an empty check macro that needs that work file. I can also do this in a sort step but the results of the empty check put alternate text in the dataset and the sort OUTREC messes it up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
a079011
Obsidian | Level 7

I ended figuring out how to use DATA _NULL_ to get the results I am lookign for. Thank you for the help

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, why are you writing out a dataset to a text file, and then checking it with a macro?  This:

proc printto print=output;
run;

proc print data=final_report nobs;
  var date dy job cc1;
run;  

Seems to be a bit of an odd, maybe old school approach to designing an output report.  If the file is just used to check the dataset look at sashelp.vtable/vcolumn for meta data or explain your "checks".

If you need the file for people to use, then move to proc report, put titles in etc.

a079011
Obsidian | Level 7

I ended figuring out how to use DATA _NULL_ to get the results I am lookign for. Thank you for the help

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

If I understand correctly, your problem with the data step is that you have a macro afterwards that uses the name of the last dataset created (stored in _LAST_ option and &SÝSLAST automatic macro variable). 

No problem there, doing a DATA _NULL_ step does not change any of those two variables. At least not in the SAS version I am currently testing.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation