DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Proc sort by ascending or descending value yields totally different results for the same dataset

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Proc sort by ascending or descending value yields totally different results for the same dataset

Hi,

I am using SAS V9.4 to work with a dataset where there are more than one observations for a person. I am interested in a single observation for a person; however when I sort by descending order and select the first observation per case ID, I get a dataset much smaller than the dataset I get if I sort by the SAS default of ascending order. The two numbers aren't even close. Any ideas as to why this could be happening?

PROC SORT data=temp1;                                                                      
BY case_number  value;

DATA TEMP2;                                                                    
SET TEMP1; 
BY  case_number   value;
if FIRST.case_number;
PROC SORT data=temp1;                                                                      
BY case_number descending value;

DATA TEMP2;                                                                    
SET TEMP1; 
BY  case_number descending value;
if FIRST.case_number;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎01-08-2018 06:56 PM
Trusted Advisor

Re: Proc sort by ascending or descending value yields totally different results for the same dataset

Please show the log, including its report on the number of observations in TEMP2 -- for both orderings.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎01-08-2018 06:56 PM
Trusted Advisor

Re: Proc sort by ascending or descending value yields totally different results for the same dataset

Please show the log, including its report on the number of observations in TEMP2 -- for both orderings.

New Contributor

I just looked through the log and saw that it was an error in a subsequent data step that was causing my problems. Thank you!! I need to learn to check my sas log more.
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation