BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
metro
Fluorite | Level 6

My xlsx file has 4650 records and 7 columns.  Proc import only reads in 4500 records.  When I run the file through stat transfer and create a new file the new file will import correctly. SAS version 9.3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User
I wouldn't bother with using PROC IMPORT if you can get the LIBNAME engine to work.
21 character member name shouldn't be a problem since SAS names can be up to 32 characters long, unless you have option VALIDVARNAME=V6 set.
You might have made other changes to the file when you opened it to change the sheetname.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Works fine for me. 

1294  libname x xlsx "&path\test file.xlsx";
NOTE: Libref X was successfully assigned as follows:
      Engine:        XLSX
      Physical Name: C:\Downloads\test file.xlsx
1295  proc copy inlib=x outlib=work;
1296  run;

NOTE: Copying X.TEST to WORK.TEST (memtype=DATA).
NOTE: BUFSIZE is not cloned when copying across different engines. System Option for BUFSIZE was used.
NOTE: The import data set has 4560 observations and 7 variables.
NOTE: There were 4560 observations read from the data set X.TEST.
NOTE: The data set WORK.TEST has 4560 observations and 7 variables.

How did you try to read it?

metro
Fluorite | Level 6
I used proc import. I renamed the sheet to test before I uploaded and now I get all 4560 records. However, the one I was originally using had a sheet name with >21 characters and that one still stops importing at 4500 records. Looks like the length of the sheetname is the problem.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User
I wouldn't bother with using PROC IMPORT if you can get the LIBNAME engine to work.
21 character member name shouldn't be a problem since SAS names can be up to 32 characters long, unless you have option VALIDVARNAME=V6 set.
You might have made other changes to the file when you opened it to change the sheetname.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation