DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Proc export to CSV from an empty dataset

New Contributor

Proc export to CSV from an empty dataset

Hello All,

I am trying to export an empty dataset to csv.

I am able to get the .csv file with zero records.  But in the log I am getting an error.

0 records created in /DQ_VERIFICATION/EXP_XXXXXX_F_20180508.csv from

EXP_XXXXXX.

ERROR: Export unsuccessful. See SAS Log for details.

How to avoid the Error in log.

Thanks in advance!

Super User

Re: Proc export to CSV from an empty dataset

[ Edited ]

Please post the complete log of your failed step.

Edit: I guess you not only have zero observations, but also no variables in your dataset. In that case, proc export won't work. And a situation like that makes no sense in my eyes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Super User
Super User

What you are saying and what you expect do not match.  CSV - Comma Separated Variable file is a text file with one row of header information, and then a row for each observation with the data separated by a comma.  Having no data means it is not a CSV, its just a text file with a line of text.  Hence why you are getting errors.  

Instead of trying to export something which does not exist, just write a text line to a text file (and don't call it CSV as its not):

data _null_;
  file "empty_file.txt";
  put "abc,def,ghi";
run;

Super User

Here's an example of a macro that prints the data set if it exists and otherwise prints a message to the log. You can modify it to have each section do what you need it to do.

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=mcrolref&docsetTarget=p011imau3tm4jen1us2a45cyenz9.htm&docset...

Super User
Super User

Proc export works fine for a dataset with zero observations. It fails for a dataset that does not have any variables.

Try this program to see the difference.

data zero nothing(drop=_all_);
 set sashelp.class(obs=0);
run;

%let path=c:\downloads;
proc export data=zero file="&path/zero.csv" dbms=csv  replace ; 
run;
proc export data=nothing file="&path/nothing.csv" dbms=csv  replace ; 
run;

I expect the error is higher up in your process that created the dataset that does not have any variables. But if you did want to create a text file from that nothing dataset you could use another method to make the CSV file. For example you could use this macro:

https://github.com/sasutils/macros/blob/master/csvfile.sas

%csvfile(zero,outfile="&path/zero.csv");
%csvfile(nothing,outfile="&path/nothing.csv");

For ZERO it will create a file with only the header row. And for NOTHING it will create a file with zero bytes since it does not even have any variables to include in the header row.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation