DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Proc append

Occasional Contributor

Proc append

Hi everyone,

I'm doing the SAS base cert exam soon.

Do you know if we need to know about Proc Append?

It is not in the course books / videos or the syllabus but it came up in the practice paper?

What do we need to know about it either?

All i've seen so far is that there's a base data set which gets added to by the data data set.

Then there's a force= option (which i believe is added into the Proc append statement?

I'm not sure how this works..

Thanks for your help in advance!

Appreciate it Smiley Happy

Bhagya

Could 

Super User

Re: Proc append

Posted in reply to Bhagya_raj

You can learn about the APPEND procedure in the documentation, as you can with all SAS procedures and language:

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=proc&docsetTarget=p1bjrbc5esr90on12o8vs7gyv8ue.htm&docsetVers...

Occasional Contributor

Thanks SASKiwi,

Do you know if this could be examinable though? 

GIven that my exam is coming up shortly, I want to just make sure I am focussing on things I really do need!

Then I will come back to this afterwards.

Do you know someone who might know whether it is in fact examinable?

Thank you very much,

Bhagya

Super User

Posted in reply to Bhagya_raj

Bhagya_raj wrote:

Do you know if we need to know about Proc Append?

It is not in the course books / videos or the syllabus but it came up in the practice paper?

Practice Paper from where?

SAS Super FREQ

I know nothing about what is going to be on your exam, but proc append is a fairly simple procedure and one that every SAS programmer should know.  If you are serious about learning SAS, spend a bit of time on it even if it does not come up on your exam.

Valued Guide

Posted in reply to WarrenKuhfeld

I agree 100% with @WarrenKuhfeld - don't just learn for the exam. Some years ago I did a systems analysis exam where the instructor said "don't bother to learn this bit for the exam - they've never, ever, asked a question on it". Of course you know what happened and everyone on the course failed and had to re-take the exam....

As others have said Proc Append is one of those Procedures that you really must know if you're to be a successful SAS practitioner. There are many others which you can skim over as you may never use them but i can confidently predict that if you intend to use SAS seriously you will be using Proc Append a lot!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation