BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Punxsutawney
Calcite | Level 5

I have 2 sets of data with no common variable. One is a list of library members while the other is a list of libraries. Now, for each member, I want to assign the member to a library (and only one library) based on conditions like library capacity, calculated distance between the library and member, etc. The library capacity should be updated (as in reduced by 1) for the particular library after each assignment of a member to it. I am currently stuck at this and will appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

Are you a fan of hash tables?  I could imagine a DATA step that reads through the Member list, and loads the library list into a hash table.  So it reads in a member, rips through the hash table looking for the closest library that has capacity, makes the library assignment (dataset variable), decrements the capacity in the hash table by one. Then the DATA step iterates again and reads the second member etc.  Sound reasonable?

It's in interesting exercise.  Is it a homework exercise? 

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Quentin
Super User

Hi, I suggest you show some small sample datasets.  When you say library I'm thinking you mean SAS library.  But then when I ready more I'm thinking you mean a library building that stores books and the members are people not datasets....   Sample data would help.  Ideally both sample input data and the desired output.   Also sounds like you may need to think about what you are trying to optimize (e.g. assign members to libraries, optimizing the average distance a member needs to travel to reach a library?).  Or perhaps you don't really care about optimization, so it is sufficient to just consecutively assign each member to the best of the libraries that have capacity at that time.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Punxsutawney
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I meant library as a place that stores books, etc. Sorry about the confusion.

Member list

mbr_id    zipcode

1           12134 

2           12315

3           14235

Library list

lib_id   zipcode   capacity

15        12541      40

18        14521      45

21        13214      43

Don't worry about optimization. So what I want to do is assign a library ID to each of these members based on first capacity of the library (max capacity is 46) and distance.

I hope this helps. Thanks.

Quentin
Super User

Are you a fan of hash tables?  I could imagine a DATA step that reads through the Member list, and loads the library list into a hash table.  So it reads in a member, rips through the hash table looking for the closest library that has capacity, makes the library assignment (dataset variable), decrements the capacity in the hash table by one. Then the DATA step iterates again and reads the second member etc.  Sound reasonable?

It's in interesting exercise.  Is it a homework exercise? 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation