BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
iliyan
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Everyone,

I am creating a database in which I include observations include segments that had no road work done and on also include any segment with road work done on it prior to the first time any work was done. However, when I try to match these conditions I get the following log response:

NOTE: The "<>" operator is interpreted as "not equals".
NOTE: The execution of this query involves performing one or more Cartesian product joins that can not be optimized.
WARNING: Variable year already exists on file DB.REF1.
WARNING: Variable ident already exists on file DB.REF1.
ERROR: Insufficient space in file DB.REF1.DATA.
ERROR: File DB.REF1.DATA is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.

The code is as follows:

proc sql;
create table db.ref1 as
select *
from db.dir5lane2 road, db.refactmin act
where (road.ident = act.ident and road.year < act.year) or act.ident <> road.ident;
quit;

As always there is a sample dataset attached. Any suggestion is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

Not sure how to do that with PROC SQL. Here is how I would do it using a data step:

proc sort data=db.dir5lane2;
  by ident;
run;

proc sort data=db.refactmin;
  by ident;
run;

data db.ref1;
  merge db.dir5lane2 (in=ina) 
        db.refactmin (rename=(year=byear) in=inb);
  by ident;
  if ina and inb then do;
    if year < byear;
  end;
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Astounding
PROC Star

You are trying to create a huge file, and running out of disk space to store it.  (Other, more minor issues exist, but first things first.)

Let's say you look at the number of records in your incoming tables, and find that there are 10,000 records in each table.  The approximate number of records you are asking for is 100,000,000.  That's because most of the records will be selected by the last criterion using <>.  That match joins every record in one table with virtually every record in the other table.

Think about which records you actually want to extract, and how they should be matched.  Then we can revisit how to ask for that.

iliyan
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your once again for your quick reply Astounding!

What I would like to select from the dir5lane2 dataset is all ident's that either not appears in the refactmin dataset or the ident does appear but the year is less than the refactmin specifies for that matching ident section. 

(dir5lane2.ident = refactmin.ident and dir5lane2.year < refactmin.year) or (dir5lane2.ident <> refactmin.ident)

The dir5lane2 is only 16k observations, so there must be something with my understanding of proc sql. The code does run fine when I do not include the former restriction but only the latter. 

art297
Opal | Level 21

Given the sample workbook you provided, what result do you want?

iliyan
Obsidian | Level 7

See attached updated file for the wanted result.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Not sure how to do that with PROC SQL. Here is how I would do it using a data step:

proc sort data=db.dir5lane2;
  by ident;
run;

proc sort data=db.refactmin;
  by ident;
run;

data db.ref1;
  merge db.dir5lane2 (in=ina) 
        db.refactmin (rename=(year=byear) in=inb);
  by ident;
  if ina and inb then do;
    if year < byear;
  end;
run;

iliyan
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you Arthur, works like a charm. Have only used sas for 2 months, thank you for presenting this code as a sample.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation