DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Problem with prep question

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Problem with prep question

Hi, I'm preparing for my Base Programming Exam and I'm stuck with one question from the Pass4Sure catalogue. The explanation doesn't really help:

Unbenannt.PNG

The right answer is A. While I do understand why A doesn't produce a missing value in the last observation, I don't get why any of the other options should. I've pondered over this one for a while now but I'm not getting further. Especially option D should effectively do the same as A in my opinion.

I would appreciate your help!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎12-15-2016 05:44 AM
Super User

Re: Problem with prep question

options B and D use a simple totquantity + quantity calculation; they cause no automatic retain, always reference a missing value (totquantity), therefore the result will be missing.

option C is a simple syntax error.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎12-15-2016 05:44 AM
Super User

options B and D use a simple totquantity + quantity calculation; they cause no automatic retain, always reference a missing value (totquantity), therefore the result will be missing.

option C is a simple syntax error.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Occasional Contributor

Now I get it, thanks a lot!

Regular Contributor

Answer D uses the "+" operator which produces a missing value if one of the operands is missing.
The 0 in the retain statement only provides an initialization which is overwritten by the operation.
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation