BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
papertrail
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, I'm preparing for my Base Programming Exam and I'm stuck with one question from the Pass4Sure catalogue. The explanation doesn't really help:

Unbenannt.PNG

The right answer is A. While I do understand why A doesn't produce a missing value in the last observation, I don't get why any of the other options should. I've pondered over this one for a while now but I'm not getting further. Especially option D should effectively do the same as A in my opinion.

I would appreciate your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

options B and D use a simple totquantity + quantity calculation; they cause no automatic retain, always reference a missing value (totquantity), therefore the result will be missing.

option C is a simple syntax error.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

options B and D use a simple totquantity + quantity calculation; they cause no automatic retain, always reference a missing value (totquantity), therefore the result will be missing.

option C is a simple syntax error.

papertrail
Fluorite | Level 6

Now I get it, thanks a lot!

gamotte
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Answer D uses the "+" operator which produces a missing value if one of the operands is missing.
The 0 in the retain statement only provides an initialization which is overwritten by the operation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation