BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DaanUtrecht
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I have 2 datasets:

1. contains approximately 25 million observations of 5 variables: MutualfundID, year, month, assetID and holdings. Each month of each year in my dataset it shows what the holdings of these funds in multiple assets are. So this contains several observations fora specfic mutualfund in a specific month; because the have positions in several assets.

2. contains 250.000 observations of 4 variables. Also: MutualfundID, year, month and then one other var: netfundflows. So this contains only 1 observation for a specific fund in a specific month because in shows net flows.

What I want to accomplish is that those fundflows come in as a 6th variable in the first dataset. Because each fund has multiple assets each month, the net fund flows will be repeated several times in that month because it relates to the fund itself and not to the asset.

I tried:

data merged;

merge dataset1 dataset2;

by MutualfundID, year, month;

run;

But this doesnt give me the right results. How should I approach this?

3 REPLIES 3
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

proc sql;

create table merged as

select

t1.*,

t2.netfundflows

from

dataset1 t1

left outer join dataset2 t2

on t1.mutufalfundid=t2.mutualfundid

and t1.year=t2.year

and t1.month=t2.month;

quit;

DaanUtrecht
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks DBailey, will try it asap!

Florent
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

Just as information, and to keep your datastep example, you migt use the following code (which makes the same as the PROC SQL provided by DBailey). As long as the observations exist in the dataset1, they will appear in the merged dataset (with empty values in the fields normally coming from the dataset2).

data merged;

merge dataset1 (in = inDS1)
                dataset2 (in = inDS2);

by MutualfundID year month;

if inDS1;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation