BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASACC
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

When I am importing CSV file into SAS , Junk value is getting inserted in last coloumn of every record. Please let me know if there is any option which remove junk values while importing. I am using Infile statement with following Options

dlm=';' TRUNCOVER MISSOVER DSD FIRSTOBS=2

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Looks like you are using the DATA step for the import.

Generally, this sort of thing is an indication of a problem in the incoming data stream. You will need to do some detective work. The first ones that I might look at are

-- do you have "junk" at the end of the incoming record? You should use a hex editor to look at the data line as there may be some non-display characters.
-- did the .CSV file come from a different environment? For instance, if it was created on a PC and you used a binary FTP transfer to get it to Unix, then the End-Of-Line character will be wrong and may cause errors. Ditto the other way.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Doc will be right! As the junk is at the end of the last field, it will normally be part of the end-of-line string.
In SAS92 infile option TERMSTR= solves the problem (like termstr=crlf)
Before SAS92, just add the rogue character to the DLM= value
infile ghjfghj dsd dlm='3b0a0d'x ....etcetera... ;
(where 3b is the hex value for semi-colons on most platforms)
I added 0A0Dx among delimiters on an "all-inclusive" approach. If normally treated as line-end characters, then they won't arrive in the infile buffer, but when they do, they'll be excluded from data values.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation