BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jvidalg
Calcite | Level 5
I’m trying to use the MP CONNECT piping facillity that uses ports rather than disk devices por I/O. I have this code:

rsubmit wait=no;

libname outLib sasesock ":pipe1";

/* create data set - and write to pipe */
data outLib.Intermediate;
do i=1 to 5;
put 'Writing row ' i;
output;
end;
run;
endrsubmit;

/* ----------- DATA Step - Process P2 ----- */
rsubmit wait=no;

libname inLib sasesock ":pipe1";
libname outLib "/tmp/";

data outLib.Final;
set inLib.Intermediate;
do j=1 to 5;
put 'Adding data ' j;
n2 = j*2;
output;
end;
run;

endrsubmit;

when I execute the first rsubmit I find the following error:
828 libname outLib sasesock ":pipe1";
ERROR: Unknown service name, pipe1, please check your TCP/IP services file
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I suppose that pipe1 is the name of a service that must be running in some port in the UNIX server, isn’t it??.
I don’t know how to start this service and what I have to do in UNIX to run this SAS program. In wich port??, what kind of service??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I’m a beginner using this pipe facility.
7 REPLIES 7
jvidalg
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you for your help. I will register in the services file as you say, but I have another doubt, pipe1 is a services defined in one port, then I suppose pipe1 is a server appliction listening in this port, waht kind of app is pipe1??.
I don't know much about ports and services in UNIX, but I know that, for example, "telnet" is ans app server listening in one port for clients requests, what kind of server app is "pipe1"??, do I need some instalation??, does it works like the UNIX pipe command ( cat file | grep "character" | sort ...).

Any advice will be greatly appreciatted, because I know SAS, but not much UNIX...
jvidalg
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you for your help, urchin.

I have problemas identifying the SAS spawner.
That's what I have in the sasroot/utilities/bin directory
>ls
bdm cfgpeh cleanwork elsconf elssrv
jproxy ke2j ke2s kj2e ks2e
motifxsassm objspawn patchname rbrowser reshelper
sasauth sasmailer sasm.elm.mime sasperm sastcpd
sasumgmt saswujms setuid

How can I identify the spawner??

Another question, I suppose that this program must be definded in the etc/services UNIX file, also is correct???

And the program must be running in UNIX. It cab be located with this:

ps -ef | grep "spawner-name"

As you can see, I'm not an expert....

Any advice will be greatly apreciatted, I don't know much about UNIX services and how it works...
deleted_user
Not applicable
(1) sastcpd is the Unix spawner program.
(2) you don't have to register a service entry in /etc/service.

I can give you an easy example.
Open two terminals in Unix, and
(1) type /usr/local/SAS_9.1.3/SAS_9.1/utilities/bin/sastcpd -service 5050 -sascmd '/usr/local/SAS_9.1.3/SAS_9.1/sas -dmr -noterminal -nosyntaxcheck -device grlink' in terminal 1. The actual paths could be different in your system.
(2) In terminal 2, use any editor to enter the following code and save as test.sas
/*
%let node = 127.0.0.1 5050;
options comamid=tcp;

filename rlink '/usr/local/SAS_9.1.3/SAS_9.1/misc/connect/tcpunix.scr';
*actual path to tcpunix.scr may vary;
signon remote=node user=$youruserid$ password=_prompt_;
*replace $youruserid$ with your actual userid;
rsubmit node;
proc print data=sashelp.class;
run;
endrsubmit;
signoff node;
*/
After the above code is saved, type command sas -nodms test and after a few seconds you should be prompted for the password. If successful, there should be a test.lst file created.

Because I'm not the root user of our Unix server, I cannot really test any fancy setups and cannot help you any further. Two more references,
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/camref/59596/HTML/default/a000173245.htm
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/secref/59964/HTML/default/a003047680.htm
jvidalg
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you very much for your help urchin. It's being very productive.

I 'll talk with the UNIX admin, because I don't have root permission to start sastcpd service.
If you have time I have another question, I don't understand know how MP connect pipeline works.
In the libname you specifie a reference to a TCP/IP pipe instead of to a physical disk device, then the intermediate data is not write in a disk device??, is correct??.
I understand that you save time in I/O, but where is the intermediate data??, in memory?, in RAM???

I would like to undestand the phisical running of MP connect pipeline.

Thank in advance,
deleted_user
Not applicable
I guess SASESOCK is just some sort of cache with limited size. I don't know where it is because it's not mentioned anywhere in the SAS/Connect reference.
Just search 'SASESOCK at support.sas.com, and you'll find only a limited number of references so you should be able to read them all.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation