BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

I have many data tables each corresponding to a city (such as new_york, boston etc). In each data table I have data for a person's age. salary and number of childern, and I would to make the following proc means for these variables in the following way: 

proc means data=new_york n mean max min range std ;

age salary children;

run;

But instead of doing this manually for each city, is it possible to do this for a list of cities, some sort of "macro for data tables?"

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Thanks Reeza for the direction, the ucla link does actually have prety much the same thing and I got my wanted result!

But just one thing that I would like to note. Here is my code :

%let data_list = boston new_york

%macro means_for_all(all_data);
  %let k=1;
  %let the_data= %scan(&all_data, &k);
  %do %while("&the_data" NE "");
    title "data table is &the_data";
    proc means data=&the_data n min max mean;
      var _all_;
    run;
    %let k = %eval(&k + 1);
    %let the_data = %scan(&all_data, &k);
  %end;
%mend;

%means_for_all(&data_list)

First I put the names of the tables into a macro variable "&data_list". Then when I run the macro the way above, i.e I put  "&data_list" inside the parantheses, I get error messages such as work.data.mean doesn't exist, so for some reason sas treats the proc means options as if they were data names, BUT the result is the same as if when calling the macro I had inputted the variable names one by one, strange... 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User

Why do you have a table for each city? Can you combine them into one? That would be the fastest way. 

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Hi Reeza,

The tables are separate, but is there a way to combine them? (I assume that a new column "city" should be added which wil contain the city's name in it, but I can't figure out how)

Thank you!

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Use indsname= option in the set statement to get the dataset name

data all;
set NewYork Boston ... indsname=source;
city = source;
run;

proc means data=all ...;
by city;
var ...;
run;
PG
ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Hi PGStats,

thanks for the code, it works perfectly!

Could you please give me a general solution for the case where I have many data tables but the variables in each table might be diferent so that I can make a proc means for all of the variables for all the data tables?

Thanks!

Ksharp
Super User

You can combine these tables together firstly:

data want;
 set NewYork Boston .......   indsname=indsname;
dsn=indsname;
run;

Then run BY statement:

proc means data=want;
by dsn;

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Hi Ksharp,

thnka sofr the code, it works greatly.

Just as I asked PGStats, is it possible to a more general solution for the case where I have many data tables and the variables in each table might be different so that I can do a proc means for all the variables for all the tables?

Thanks! 

Reeza
Super User

1. Write the code for base case

Proc means data=mydataset n min mean max;
Run;

2. Determine fields that need to change in each iteration - these will be macro variable parameters. 

Proc means data=mydataset ... ;

The dataset variable name will need to change.

3. Convert to macro variable

%let dsin=mydataset;

Proc means data = &dsin ...
Run;

4. Wrap in macro code and convert macro variables to parameters. 

%macro summarize(data_in);

Proc means data=&data_in n min mean max;
Run;

%mend;

Execute macro for desired dataset

%summarize(sashelp.class);

Intro to macro language

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/seminars/sas_macros_introduction/

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Hi Reeza,

I understood parts 4 and 5 which are making a macro and indeed it works when I do the data tables one by one like this:

%summarize(cities);
%summarize(countries);
etc

But is it possible to make a code which will run the same macro but for a list of data tables?

Thanks!

Reeza
Super User

@ilikesas Yes. Look at CALL EXECUTE. The example in the documentation is very clear. 

If you need further help with it, post what you've tried and highlight what isn't working. 

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Thanks Reeza for the direction, the ucla link does actually have prety much the same thing and I got my wanted result!

But just one thing that I would like to note. Here is my code :

%let data_list = boston new_york

%macro means_for_all(all_data);
  %let k=1;
  %let the_data= %scan(&all_data, &k);
  %do %while("&the_data" NE "");
    title "data table is &the_data";
    proc means data=&the_data n min max mean;
      var _all_;
    run;
    %let k = %eval(&k + 1);
    %let the_data = %scan(&all_data, &k);
  %end;
%mend;

%means_for_all(&data_list)

First I put the names of the tables into a macro variable "&data_list". Then when I run the macro the way above, i.e I put  "&data_list" inside the parantheses, I get error messages such as work.data.mean doesn't exist, so for some reason sas treats the proc means options as if they were data names, BUT the result is the same as if when calling the macro I had inputted the variable names one by one, strange... 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation