BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sathish_jammy
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I have values (1 to 300) in a column i want to find the mean and std of 33.33rd percentile for that values.

How do i solve that. please help me!...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Sathish_jammy,

Now you've started a second thread for essentially the same question -- not ideal.

I would probably let PROC RANK identify the percentiles (i.e. tertiles) and then use PROC SUMMARY to calculate the descriptive statistics for each of the three groups. Using your data from the other thread as dataset HAVE:

proc rank data=have out=want groups=3;
var weight;
ranks tertile;
run;

proc summary data=want nway;
class tertile;
var weight follw1_weight;
output out=stats mean= std= / autoname;
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Result 1 on google search seems to have the answer:

https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2013/10/23/percentiles-in-a-tabular-format.html

For non-standard percentiles use stdzise.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Sathish_jammy,

Now you've started a second thread for essentially the same question -- not ideal.

I would probably let PROC RANK identify the percentiles (i.e. tertiles) and then use PROC SUMMARY to calculate the descriptive statistics for each of the three groups. Using your data from the other thread as dataset HAVE:

proc rank data=have out=want groups=3;
var weight;
ranks tertile;
run;

proc summary data=want nway;
class tertile;
var weight follw1_weight;
output out=stats mean= std= / autoname;
run;
Sathish_jammy
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank u so much! it works well...

But how do i get the mean difference & STD difference  ,as well p-value for each 3 tertiles.

Could u please help me again.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Well, a p-value is always associated with a statistical hypothesis test. So, you'd have to specify this test. As a start, let's assume that you want what is probably the most common choice in the situation you described in the other thread: the two-sided t-test for paired samples. But you should double-check your requirements.

The corresponding SAS procedure, PROC TTEST (with the PAIRED statement), does not only compute "the" p-values, but also the requested summary statistics. Continuing with dataset WANT from my first reply in this thread:

proc sort data=want;
by tertile;
run;

ods select none;
ods output ttests=ttest
           statistics=tstats;
proc ttest data=want;
by tertile;
paired weight*follw1_weight;
run;
ods select all;

data want2;
merge tstats(keep=tertile mean stddev)
      ttest(keep=tertile probt rename=(probt=p_value));
by tertile;
run;

Sathish_jammy
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You are really awesome!... @FreelanceReinh

Thank you so much...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation