DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Passing a variable to another dataset

Regular Contributor

Passing a variable to another dataset

Hello,

I have 3 sas datasets : A,B, & C.
I want to merge A and B to create D. While in D, i would like to check the value of a variable from C.

DATA D;
MERGE A (IN=IN_A)
B (IN=IN_B);
BY EID;

IF IN_A AND IN_B THEN DO;
IF START_SW = " " THEN
CNT = CNT + 1;
*do more*

The If statement is not reconizing the variable START_SW, which is defined in Data C. How do I pass Start_sw to dataset D?

Thanks for any input!!
Kevin
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Passing a variable to another dataset

You would get most effective feedback by sending the diagnostic output from your SASLOG to include a PUTLOG _ALL_; command revealing all variable values. Any other feedback is a virtual crap-shoot, especially given that we don't know what your input WORK.A and WORK.B variable values contains with each DATA step pass.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Regular Contributor

thnx for your reply sbb.
I used PUTLOG _all_ to see the values of all.

the value of the variable I need is blank.
Let me ask a basic/stupid question: Can you pass a variable from one dataset X to another dataset Y without reading X?

If the answer is NO, then that's the problem I m facing.
I am merging 2 datasets (A & B) to create C. While I m in C, I need to access the variable from X. X contains only on row of data. If I use set to read X it would screw up my merge. Because the 2 files I am merging (A & B) contain multiple rows. The merge would stop after reading just one row. I hope I am explaining my problem clearly.

help please! Smiley Happy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

From your recent post, you gave some indication that there is only one row and variable/column you wish to pass to another DATA step. So, yes, you can use CALL SYMPUT in "data step #1" to generate a SAS macro variable.

And in "data step #2", you can use a RETAIN statement to access the macro variable, assigning a SAS data variable / column value, referencing the macro variable using double-quote marks in the RETAIN statement.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Regular Contributor

sbb, your suggestion worked !!!
Thank you !!!!
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation