BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dhrumil_patel
Fluorite | Level 6

Using SAS 9.3, I am trying to parse a variable, Vehicle, of auto names written (mostly) in camel case. For example, 

JeepGrand Cherokee

JeepRenegade

JeepWrangler

...other records not in camel case

Jeep Renegade

I'd like to define a new variable, Model, containing the model names of the vehicles. For the records separating make from model with a space, I have a solution using the findw function:

if findw(Vehicle, "Renegade") then Vehicle2 = "Renegade"

This does not work for the camel case records. One solution I have worked out is to use a combination of the scan and tranwrd function. 

if findw(strip(tranwrd(scan(Vehicle, 1, " "), "Jeep", " ")), "Wrangler") then Vehicle2 = "Wrangler"

This works because I have a small number of makes in the data set. But how could I generalize this parsing to a larger list of automakers? In general, can we specify "case" as a delimiter in any character functions? 

I appreciate any feed back anyone can provide.

Dhrumil Patel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

There's going to be a PRX function that's much more efficient, but you can use the ANYUPPER()/SUBSTR() function. 

data want;
input details $32.;
x=anyupper(details, 2);
make=substr(details, 1, x-1);
model=substr(details, x);
cards;
JeepGrand Cherokee
JeepRenegade
JeepWrangler
;
run;

proc print data=want;run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

There's going to be a PRX function that's much more efficient, but you can use the ANYUPPER()/SUBSTR() function. 

data want;
input details $32.;
x=anyupper(details, 2);
make=substr(details, 1, x-1);
model=substr(details, x);
cards;
JeepGrand Cherokee
JeepRenegade
JeepWrangler
;
run;

proc print data=want;run;
JerryLeBreton
Pyrite | Level 9

Using PRX functions looks inviting but this can also be done simply with:

model =substr(vehicle, findc(vehicle, , 2, 'SU'));

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@JerryLeBreton wrote:

Using PRX functions looks inviting but this can also be done simply with:

model =substr(vehicle, findc(vehicle, , 2, 'SU')); 

Good idea. One could apply the LEFT function to the result in order to avoid discrepancies like 'Renegade' vs. ' Renegade'.

dhrumil_patel
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Jerry. This also works and is compact!

A couple questions:

(1) Why do you have to start at the second character position?

(2) Does a blank argument for the charlist include all alphanumeric character? (Couldn't find this answer in the SAS Documentation of the findc function.)

Thank you again.

JerryLeBreton
Pyrite | Level 9

@dhrumil_patel wrote:

A couple questions:

(1) Why do you have to start at the second character position?

(2) Does a blank argument for the charlist include all alphanumeric character? (Couldn't find this answer in the SAS Documentation of the findc function.)

If you start at the first character, the answer will include the Make of the vehicle.

And leaving the  charlist argument blank effectively means 'any character(s)'.  The modifiers U and S stipulate what to search for.  The doco for the FINDC  function is quite good.

@Oh, and use @FreelanceReinhard 's suggestion to wrap a LEFT function around the result to finish the job properly.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation