DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Packaging and encrypting a csv-file

Frequent Contributor

Packaging and encrypting a csv-file

We have an ETL-job that creates a csv-file and attaches it to an outgoing email.

Now there's a requirement that the file must be encrypted before being sent. It should preferably be packaged with WinZip using AES-256 encryption.

Is there any SAS code we can use for packaging and encrypting the csv-file based on these criteria?
PROC Star

Re: Packaging and encrypting a csv-file

Einar,

Take a look at the ZIP access method for the FILENAME statement

Regards,

Søren

Super User
Super User

Ah yes, the good old WinZip and password protect data transfer.  What a totally unsecure faff that really is.  If you need to send data, then use a proper process for that.  Your company (or recipient) will likely have a secure transfer area - ask IT - or alternatively use SFTP to transfer the file.  This has several main benefits - firstly email is limited in the size it can carry for me it is 10mb maximum, hence sending data whiich can be gb is not a valid option and you email server admin may come round for a word.  Secondly, security is embedded into the system which results in you not having to worry about implementing it, and is more secure that your process.  So often have I seen the email with the data followed by the email with the password - I mean surely the person who intercepts the first can't intercept the second email?

So save yourself the bother and transfere files securely and consitently using methods appropriate.

Super User

And for extra comic relief to add to @RW9's response: I used to receive data in the method you describe. And then an upgrade to email security software included a check for "objectionable words" in the file. It took a week to find out why the file I received every three days didn't arrive. It turned out we had a street name that contained one of the "objectionable" words and the security software was trashing the file and not notifying the intended receipient about quarantined mail.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation