BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
EinarRoed
Pyrite | Level 9

We have an ETL-job that creates a csv-file and attaches it to an outgoing email.

Now there's a requirement that the file must be encrypted before being sent. It should preferably be packaged with WinZip using AES-256 encryption.

Is there any SAS code we can use for packaging and encrypting the csv-file based on these criteria?
3 REPLIES 3
s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

Einar,

Take a look at the ZIP access method for the FILENAME statement

Regards,

Søren

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Ah yes, the good old WinZip and password protect data transfer.  What a totally unsecure faff that really is.  If you need to send data, then use a proper process for that.  Your company (or recipient) will likely have a secure transfer area - ask IT - or alternatively use SFTP to transfer the file.  This has several main benefits - firstly email is limited in the size it can carry for me it is 10mb maximum, hence sending data whiich can be gb is not a valid option and you email server admin may come round for a word.  Secondly, security is embedded into the system which results in you not having to worry about implementing it, and is more secure that your process.  So often have I seen the email with the data followed by the email with the password - I mean surely the person who intercepts the first can't intercept the second email?

So save yourself the bother and transfere files securely and consitently using methods appropriate.

ballardw
Super User

And for extra comic relief to add to @RW9's response: I used to receive data in the method you describe. And then an upgrade to email security software included a check for "objectionable words" in the file. It took a week to find out why the file I received every three days didn't arrive. It turned out we had a street name that contained one of the "objectionable" words and the security software was trashing the file and not notifying the intended receipient about quarantined mail.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation