BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
EbethF
Fluorite | Level 6

hello, I am struggling with syntax for my PROC SQL statement. I am pulling data from a very large database table from an ODBC link, and want to specify records based on the first two letters of a text field.

PROC SQL;

CONNECT TO ODBC (DSN='CFD' USER=sa PWD=Password);

CREATE TABLE SRORD_DETAIL AS SELECT * FROM CONNECTION TO ODBC (select SRORD_DET_ID,SRORDER_ID,LINE_NUMBER,

PROD_ID, PACKSIZE_ID, QTTY_ORDERED, COMMENT,

CUSTOMER_KEY

FROM SRORD_DETAIL

where CUSTOMER_KEY CONTAINS ‘OR’ );

QUIT;

I can't seem to make the last WHERE statement work for syntax, I get this error:

ERROR: CLI describe error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'CONTAINS'. :

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Statement(s) could not be prepared.

(example of a record I want to keep in the image attached.)

help appreciated!srord.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EbethF
Fluorite | Level 6

thanks to both of you, a hybrid of those hints worked with this:

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE SRORD_DETAIL AS SELECT * FROM CONNECTION TO ODBC(select SRORD_DET_ID,SRORDER_ID,LINE_NUMBER,

PROD_ID,

PACKSIZE_ID,

QTTY_ORDERED,

COMMENT,

CUSTOMER_KEY

from srord_detail

WHERE CUSTOMER_KEY LIKE ('OR%'));

QUIT;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Did you try where CUSTOMER_KEY like 'OR%'

Thanks,
Suryakiran
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Note:

select SRORD_DET_ID, SRORDER_ID, LINE_NUMBER, PROD_ID, PACKSIZE_ID, QTTY_ORDERED, COMMENT, CUSTOMER_KEY
FROM SRORD_DETAIL
where CUSTOMER_KEY CONTAINS ‘OR’

in your code is NOT a proc SQL query. It is a query that is transmitted by proc SQL to your SQL Server. It must obey the syntax rules of SQL Server.

PG
EbethF
Fluorite | Level 6
hmmm, okay. thank you for that.
EbethF
Fluorite | Level 6

thanks to both of you, a hybrid of those hints worked with this:

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE SRORD_DETAIL AS SELECT * FROM CONNECTION TO ODBC(select SRORD_DET_ID,SRORDER_ID,LINE_NUMBER,

PROD_ID,

PACKSIZE_ID,

QTTY_ORDERED,

COMMENT,

CUSTOMER_KEY

from srord_detail

WHERE CUSTOMER_KEY LIKE ('OR%'));

QUIT;

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

SQL Server does not have the CONTAINS operator like SAS SQL. To get the same result as with SAS "contains 'OR'" you will have to use "like '%OR%'". But it sounds like using "like 'OR%'" gives you what you want, so you should probably use that, as it is much faster.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation