BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
_LB
Fluorite | Level 6 _LB
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello all,

Is there is an easy way within PROC SQL to count the rows? Normally I can just use _N_ in the data step process but would like to handle the query in one step instead of two.

Thank you.

Lawrence

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

One of my two suggested possibilities was the undocumented monotonic() function.  Doesn't the following do what you want?  Although, like I mentioned, it isn't documented and doesn't come with any guarantees.

data have;

informat group $50.;

input group &  pt_No;

cards;

Anesthesia                  234

Anesthesia                  287

Emergency Medicine   111

Emergency Medicine     546

Family Medicine          458

;

proc sql;

create table want as

select group,monotonic() as row

from (

select distinct group

from have)

order by group

;

quit;

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
art297
Opal | Level 21

They are counted automatically and put into a macro variable named &sqlobs

While sql supposedly doesn't process data sequentially, I have yet to see a case where it doesn't.  As such, the undocumented function monotonic() appear to result in the same values as _n_ in a datastep.

_LB
Fluorite | Level 6 _LB
Fluorite | Level 6

Art,

That is a good tip in the future but here is the problem that was incidentally deleted somewhow-

SO I have a bunch of entries:

group                          pt#

Emergency Medicine   111

That account for 1000 entries in total

What I want to do is create a new list:

group                    row                    

Anesthesia                    1

Emergency Medicine      2

Family Medicine            3

Thanks again.

Lawrence

art297
Opal | Level 21

One of my two suggested possibilities was the undocumented monotonic() function.  Doesn't the following do what you want?  Although, like I mentioned, it isn't documented and doesn't come with any guarantees.

data have;

informat group $50.;

input group &  pt_No;

cards;

Emergency Medicine   111

;

proc sql;

create table want as

select group,monotonic() as row

from (

select distinct group

from have)

order by group

;

quit;

_LB
Fluorite | Level 6 _LB
Fluorite | Level 6

Art,

Many Thanks again!

Lawrence

MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi ... if the goal is to keep the groups in their original order, this works since the observations are already in group order in the data set. 

If the data set had another observation, the results are no longer in the order of GROUP as encountered in the data set  ...

data have;

input group & : $50. pt_No;

cards;

Emergency Medicine   111

Ambulance Chasing     999

;

run;

the code produces ...

group                 row

Ambulance Chasing      1

Anesthesia             2

Emergency Medicine     3

Family Medicine        4

Curious ... is the above what is desired or are the groups supposed to maintain data set order?

_LB
Fluorite | Level 6 _LB
Fluorite | Level 6

In this case it does not matter. If it did, then I generally have the variables ordered in a table somewhere else and can order it that way.

Ksharp
Super User

NOTE: monotonic() is not safe for SQL since it is not documented in. It will generate error result at sometime ,especially for complex SQL.

But I found another way to get the number of obs. ODS is  better.

data have;

informat group $50.;

input group &  pt_No;

cards;
Emergency Medicine   111
;
run;

ods output SQL_Results=sql;
proc sql number;
   select distinct group
   from have;
quit;

Ksharp

Ksharp
Super User

It is url about monotonic() is not supported by SQL.

http://support.sas.com/kb/15/138.html

jdmarino
Fluorite | Level 6

Is there a supported replacement to this useful function that I can use in proc sql?  I'd hate to insert a data setp into my processing just to use _N_.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Relational database tables are UNORDERED sets of records. They are not guaranteed to maintain any record order unless they are explicitly ordered (indexed) by a field or a combination of fields. If your data record order is important to you, then it should be supported by one or many of your fields and a feature such as MONOTONIC() should not be needed.

PG

PG
jdmarino
Fluorite | Level 6

>>> it should be supported by one... of your fields.

I have used monotonic() to create the field.

Would you say that if I only use monotonic() when I also use an ORDER BY clause that I'm safe and within the bounds of relational theory?

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

As long as you touch monotonic(), there could be a potential risk. In my institution, monotonic() CAN NOT be used in production code, which hints at the same time, users CAN explore it in non-production settings.

Haikuo

Guess I was trying to say here is that you can play it as much as you want, come to whatever conclusion from your own research, but there is NO final say on its use, because it is not documented (aka: officially supported) by SAS.

SethHoffman
Calcite | Level 5

Relational database fields are indeed unordered. But, SAS data sets are ordered, and it is often easier to use a proc SQL for something than a proc sort-data step-proc means/whatever. Also, if you are really using a relational database, you can use passthough SQL to access whatever custom row ordering function that database offers.

With large complex datasets, there are often transactions that don't fit the "documented" rules. It is useful to put row numbers into a table so that you can easier find the duplicates values (monotonic unfortunately doesn't guarantee missing values). If you are already sub-selecting the primary table, then you can cut out an additional data step to just number them.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

I think you have tangled some concepts here. As long as you use SQL language (Proc SQL included), then how your data stored (ordered or unordered,  RDBMS or SAS table) does not matter anymore. when SQL reads in or spits out data, there is no guaranteed order unless you EXPLICITLY "order by" it. While as a sequential language, SAS data step will loyally read in the data in the order it stores unless you EXPLICITLY change it otherwise.

Haikuo 

Update: In term of monotonic(), my suspicion is that it would be very difficult to robustly implement this sequential feature to SQL which is inheritably non-sequential by its nature. Even it can be done, SAS may feel not worth the overhead or other tradeoffs.     

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 8 in conversation