BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AieuYuhara
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all, 

I performed PROC COMPARE to a dataset, as purpose of UAT, I have to check the accuracy of the data. In the first stage, I include the data that we have and saw A LOT of discrepancies. Hence, I tried to used same dataset which been used to upload into the server, then performed PROC COMPARE, I found out, IT STILL HAVE UNEQUAL VALUES.

Through eyeball checking, the base and compare data set, does HAVE SAME VALUES. But when performing PROC COMPARE, I realized that the variables in Base data set has been rounded to a number which I dont know about.

As an example:

Base: 0.38459348 ------ Compare:  0.38459348

Output >> 0.3846 base ---- 0.38459348 >> Different: -0.00000652

How can I cater this problem? I want the base dataset to be read as it is, without rounding up any values on the Base dataset

Kindly help. Really appreciate your help! 

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Proc compare does not round. The data is different.

One way to do what you want may be to compare within say a thousandth.

Add options: method=absolute criterion=0.001

AieuYuhara
Fluorite | Level 6

Tried before, and still couldn't capture that the data is actually the same. The problem only appear to the numbers in the Base dataset, which is exactly the same as the one I uploaded to compare with. Logically, it should be an equal values for all fields. 

Plus, I noticed that in the output, it only have 4 decimal points max whereas my data has 8 decimal points. Any other way to cater this difference? Like letting the base data set read the way it is, which is 8 decimal points instead of just 4..?

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
1. Did you try these 2 options? They will solve the issue with the data example you showed.
2. Are the formats the same?
3. Just checking. They are numeric variables right?
AieuYuhara
Fluorite | Level 6

1. Yes. Below is the example output I got:

Base ABCCompare ABCDiff.
0.2540.25396771-3.229E-05
0.12340.123405895.89E-05

As noticed, the base ABC value is rounded. From eyeball checking, the base table ABC have exactly same value and same format as Compare ABC. But when we use to compare between both table, it only compares 4 decimal places (from its actual 8 decimal points) vs 8 decimal values (as in the compare table). It didnt round up any value in compare table, but it does round up the value in the base table.

2. Yes. Format is the same. Numeric BEST12.

3. Yes. Numeric Variable. 

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

You are doing something wrong. The comparison works fine here.

data T1;
  X=0.1234;
data T2;
  X=0.12340589;
proc compare data=T1 compare=T2 method=absolute criterion=0.001;
run; 

Values Comparison Summary                                   

Number of Variables Compared with All Observations Equal: 1.                   
                Number of Variables Compared with Some Observations Unequal: 0.                
                Total Number of Values which Compare Unequal: 0.                               
                Total Number of Values not EXACTLY Equal: 1.                                   
                Maximum Difference: 0.00000589.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation