BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

I'd like to get an idea of an extent of missing for each group of questions (variables) in my survey data. P1-P10, B1-B2 and G1-G5 are example of series of questions with missing (no response from study particpants). I believe there is lot more efficient way of doing this.

CP=NMISS(OF P01-P10)+N(OF P01-P10);
CB=NMISS(OF B1-B2)+ N(OF B1-B2);
CG=NMISS(OF G1-G5)+ N(OF G1-G5);

NP=NMISS(OF P01-P10);
NB=NMISS(OF B1-B2); 
NG=NMISS(OF G1-G5); 
P_MISSING_PERCENT=NP/CP*100; B_MISSING_PERCENT=NB/CB*100;
G_MISSING_PERCENT=NG/CG*100;

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Well, I think you can do it in one, but besides that it's the same calculation. I don't think you're saving very much here though. 

array p(*) p01-p10;

p_missing = nmiss(of p(*)) / dim(p);

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Well, I think you can do it in one, but besides that it's the same calculation. I don't think you're saving very much here though. 

array p(*) p01-p10;

p_missing = nmiss(of p(*)) / dim(p);
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

@Reeza

CP=NMISS(OF P01-P10)+N(OF P01-P10);

Is there straightforward function to count the number of columns instead doing nmiss+n as shown in above code? 

RickAster
Obsidian | Level 7

If you are really asking how many variables are in the abbreviated variable list P01-P10, the answer will always be 10. The data step automatically creates the variables if they do not exist already in order to include them in the list.

If you are looking for an answer to the more general question, I don't know of a function to count the number of variables in a list. It is possible to define an array that contains the variable list, and then the DIM function will count the elements in the array:

array list(*) p01-p10;
cp = dim(list);

I wouldn't argue that this simplifies anything, though.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation