BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lhsumdalum
Obsidian | Level 7

My issue is this: I need to identify palindromes for all datasets in a specified directory. I am able to successfully flag the palindromes for case sensitive and case insensitive situations. I would like to output the specific element that is a palindrome to a separate dataset. Currently, I am only able to output the entire row with the palindrome in it.

data palindrome_set (drop = i) palindrome_case_sensitive palindrome_case_insensitive;
            set reverse_rows;
                array palindrome[*] _all_ ;
                do i = 1 to dim(palindrome);
                    palindrome_cs = (trim(palindrome[i]) eq reverse(trim(palindrome[i])));
/*                      if palindrome_cs = 1 then output palindrome[i];                                         WANT TO OUTPUT SPECIFIC ELEMENT, NOT ENTIRE ROW*/
                    palindrome_cis = (lowcase(trim(palindrome[i])) eq reverse(lowcase(trim(palindrome[i]))));
                end;
                output palindrome_set;
                if palindrome_cs = 1 then output palindrome_case_sensitive;         *WANT TO OUTPUT SPECIFIC ELEMENT, NOT ENTIRE ROW;
                if palindrome_cis = 1 then output palindrome_case_insensitive;      *WANT TO OUTPUT SPECIFIC ELEMENT, NOT ENTIRE ROW;

Here is the output for that code: 

Palindrome Flags WorkPalindrome Flags WorkOutputs Entire Row, Want Specific Element that causes Palindrome Flag to = 1Outputs Entire Row, Want Specific Element that causes Palindrome Flag to = 1

Question: How would I be able to output the specific element that causes the flag to be set to 1 and not the entire row? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Revise how the KEEP and OUTPUT statements work. I think this might work :

data palindrome_case_sensitive palindrome_case_insensitive;
set reverse_rows;
array p[*] _all_ ;
do i = 1 to dim(p);
    if trim(p[i]) eq reverse(trim(p[i])) then do;
        palindrome = p[i];
        output palindrome_case_sensitive;
        end;
    if trim(lowcase(p[i])) eq reverse(lowcase(trim(p[i]))) then do;
        palindrome = lowcase(p[i]);
        output palindrome_case_insensitive;
        end;
    end;
keep palindrome;
run;

(untested)

PG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Use KEEP=variable to keep

data palindrome_set (drop = i) palindrome_case_sensitive(keep= your vars) palindrome_case_insensitive(Keep=your vars);
            set reverse_rows;
                array palindrome[*] _all_ ;
                do i = 1 to dim(palindrome);
                    palindrome_cs = (trim(palindrome[i]) eq reverse(trim(palindrome[i])));
/*                      if palindrome_cs = 1 then output palindrome[i];                                         WANT TO OUTPUT SPECIFIC ELEMENT, NOT ENTIRE ROW*/
                    palindrome_cis = (lowcase(trim(palindrome[i])) eq reverse(lowcase(trim(palindrome[i]))));
                end;
                output palindrome_set;
                if palindrome_cs = 1 then output palindrome_case_sensitive;         *WANT TO OUTPUT SPECIFIC ELEMENT, NOT ENTIRE ROW;
                if palindrome_cis = 1 then output palindrome_case_insensitive;

Thanks,
Suryakiran
lhsumdalum
Obsidian | Level 7
So to get the exact element that triggered the palindrome_flag I just need to put (keep = palindrome[i])? I don't believe that will work.
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Revise how the KEEP and OUTPUT statements work. I think this might work :

data palindrome_case_sensitive palindrome_case_insensitive;
set reverse_rows;
array p[*] _all_ ;
do i = 1 to dim(p);
    if trim(p[i]) eq reverse(trim(p[i])) then do;
        palindrome = p[i];
        output palindrome_case_sensitive;
        end;
    if trim(lowcase(p[i])) eq reverse(lowcase(trim(p[i]))) then do;
        palindrome = lowcase(p[i]);
        output palindrome_case_insensitive;
        end;
    end;
keep palindrome;
run;

(untested)

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation