BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ucdcrush
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all. I am getting an error when I first open SAS:

ERROR: An internal error has occurred while reading a compressed file. Please
ERROR: call your SAS Site Representative and report the following: compress
ERROR: offset = 2269 , de-compress offset = 3010 , compress buf = "
ERROR: 2FA4D236206CE554ABC755B9ASDASKDHASKJDHA344512C79CD7C" .

I googled the error message, and found solutions related to repairing datasets. But in this case, there is no dataset (that I'm aware of) as I am only opening SAS, not opening a program nor a dataset.

The message says to contact my site rep, and I have started up the long chain of communication to get that information (I am in a state health department), but was wondering if anyone had suggestions for what might help. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

OK. Another reason might be a corrupted SASUSER library. Identify what folder your SASUSER library is pointing to (check your SAS Explorer if using the SAS Windowing Environment or if using EG the Server list) and copy the files in it to another folder and then delete all of the original folder files.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Is this local SAS on a PC? One possible cause is there is an AUTOEXEC.SAS file running automatically when you start SAS up. Have a look in your SAS log - is there a note about running an AUTOEXEC? If so then try running SAS without an AUTOEXEC. On a command line try: SAS -noautoexec

ucdcrush
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. Yes, it's local SAS on a Windows 7 PC.

I looked in the short SAS log, and there is nothing about autoexec in it. Just the version info, products, SAS initialization time stats, and then the error I posted.

I tried running with -noautoexec and there was still the error message--  no difference in the log.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

OK. Another reason might be a corrupted SASUSER library. Identify what folder your SASUSER library is pointing to (check your SAS Explorer if using the SAS Windowing Environment or if using EG the Server list) and copy the files in it to another folder and then delete all of the original folder files.

ucdcrush
Obsidian | Level 7

That did it, thanks! After opening SAS having emptied that directory, got no error, and closed it. I then put my profile file back in which restored some of my layout configuration. Thank you again!

ballardw
Super User

Once up on a time I had a hopefully not the same problem but SAS wouldn't start at all just an error box.

The rood cause was our IT department had decided to "update" something by replacing everyone's Windows registry with a new version.

Which removed ALL of the SAS installation information as they used a "generic installed software list".

You might try posting a screen shot so we can see how far the start may have actually gotten.

Note that your configuration file (likely SASV9.cfg ) may have a line like:

-autoexec c:\path\autoexec.sas

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation