BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Yes, as we've established.

- 32-bit SAS Universal Viewer works with pure (unaltered) SSD files.  Some you've shared don't seem to fit that requirement.

- If you have SAS on Windows, you can read with the v604 libname engine.  I used that method for one of your files.  This won't work in SAS University Edition or SAS OnDemand for Academics because 1) the V6 engines aren't included and 2) these versions are Lunix, not Windows, versions of SAS.

But, all of the data you need is there in the ASCII version.  The SSD files you shared contain 51 variables -- same as the flat-file versions available from the FTP site.  It's all doc'd (in code) in the provided SAS programs:

PUT CASENUM     1-8
         MONTH       9-10
         YEAR        11-12
         WEEKDAY     13
         WKDY_I      14
         HOUR        15-16
         HOUR_I      17-18
         MINUTE      19-20
         MINUTE_I    21-22
         VEH_INVL    23-24
         NON_INVL    25-26
         LAND_USE    27
         RUR_URB     28-29
         EVENT1      30-31
         EVENT1_I    32-33
         MAN_COL     34
         MANCOL_I    35
         INT_HWY     36
         REL_JCT     37-38
         RELJCT_I    39-40
         REL_RWY     41
         TRAF_WAY    42
         NUM_LAN     43
         ALIGN       44
         ALIGN_I     45
         PROFILE     46
         PROFIL_I    47
         SUR_COND    48
         SURCON_I    49
         TRAF_CON    50-51
         TRFCON_I    52-53
         SPD_LIM     54-55
         SPDLIM_H    56-57
         LGHT_CON    58
         LGTCON_I    59
         WEATHER     60
         WEATHR_I    61
         SCHL_BUS    62
         PED_ACC     63-66
         MAX_SEV     67
         MAXSEV_I    68
         NUM_INJ     69-70
         NO_INJ_I    71-72
         ALCOHOL     73
         ALCHL_I     74
         PSU         75-76
         PJ          77-79
         REGION      80
         STRATUM     81
         WRK_ZONE    82
         NHS_RWTP    83-85         
         @ 86 WEIGHT 8.2 ;

These are FIXED WIDTH data files, which means that some data fields are encoded as 1-3 character values with NO spaces in between.  So if you're looking at fields separated by spaces, you'll come up short.  But if you follow the schema as laid out in the program, it all works out.  

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7

i also used universal viewer tricker to open the file but it does not work.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Sorry @king_aj, I cannot convert these.  SSD files are a very old format -- created by PC SAS v6.03 -- and I don't have the tools handy to open/convert.  Chances are the data within is from the mid 1990s -- or earlier, right?

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7

The above solution does not work.

king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7

please convert the files to .csv that i have attached earlier.

king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7

can someone convert the attached file(.SSD) to .csv file?? My system is giving error in converting this file to csv file.

gerald_seqr
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have installed 94160 version and 94130 version of SAS universal viewer 32 bit but both dont have the option of selecting .sd2 files. I cannot find the version 94150 on the link you have provided.

Regards

Gerald Sequeira

Gust
Calcite | Level 5

I have important old data in .SD2 files.  I have tried following the procedure in the 2017 solution to convert them to .csv however (1) that version (32 bit) of SAS Universal Viewer does not appear to be available any more and (2) the oldest version now available (2008) starts to open and then dies.  I know my oldest version of JMP (2010) would directly read .SD2 files but latest (2018) does not.  New solution?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

This SAS note might help: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostwin/69955/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0c3s7jyzj0o00n1fs...

The main problem is SD2 datasets can most probably only be read by 32-bit SAS. Also SAS Tech Support should be able to help if you don't have 32-bit SAS.

pf1
Calcite | Level 5 pf1
Calcite | Level 5

For other people hitting this page (and bearing in mind I'm a complete SAS noob), this may help.

The file dialog (version 1.43) didn't let me select an .sd2 file extension, but just directly typing "*.sd2" into the filename part of the dialog then allowed me to select .sd2 files.

When opening an .sd2 file, I got the same error message with "associated index which was not found".  It did show me a table with a name and number of variables.  For want of a better idea, I tried changing the name of the .sd2 file to match the name shown in that table (it was different).  And all of a sudden it worked!

I'm a SAS noob, but awesome to see SAS providing a utility for this, and good to see a helpful community 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 13 likes
  • 7 in conversation