BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7

would you convert the attached files .ssd to .csv format? The files was not opened in SAS universal viewer ...please help @ChrisHemedinger

It is very helpful if someone converts the attached file to .csv.

king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7

would you convert the attached files to .csv format? The files was not opened in SAS universal viewer ...please help.

please help @ChrisHemedinger

king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7

would you convert the attached files to .csv format? The files was not opened in SAS universal viewer ...please help.

@ChrisHemedinger

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@king_aj wrote:

@ChrisHemedinger

Someone has renamed the file. "ACCIDENT0" is more than 8 characters long. It is too long to be the name for Version 6.12 format dataset.

Try renaming the file and then use the Universal Viewer trick to convert it.

king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7

New attached file.please try to convert this file.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

That file you attached (GES1995.zip) contains ACCIDENT.SSD.  The data within it is readable with the SAS Universal Viewer, 32-bit version.  And it's identical to the data I've already converted for you, which is attached to this message.  (direct link to attachment here)

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7

i opened .sd2 file in sas universal viewer and it was opened but .SSD file was not opened. the error is shown in the image below.

please post the link of the sas universal viewer which opens .SSD file.check whether the attached .SSD file is converted to .csv file or not.

check IMG_20171027_000529.jpg

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@king_aj Some of these cannot be opened with the SAS Universal Viewer -- at least in my tests.  I also tried another trick: using JMP (another SAS application that can read data sets) and it also had trouble with some of these, complaining about encoding.  I also could not open them using the V6 engine in Base SAS 9.4 on Windows.

It appears that some of these data sets have been renamed and/or come from different systems.  And some of the files you've posted are duplicates of each other -- standard differencing tools can show that.  It's not clear to me that you know what sets of data you really have -- but maybe that's what you're trying to find out.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7
THe .SSD file is convertible to .csv or not.please help.this dataset is taken from this link ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/GES/GES95/SAS/
the dataset is taken from GES95.zip from above link
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Okay @king_aj - I think we've spent enough time on this.  Why don't you just get the data from:

ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/GES/GES95/ASCII/

That directory contains fixed-width versions of the data, plus SAS programs to read it in.  You can use Excel directly, or use SAS University Edition to run the SAS programs (fixing the directory paths) and read the data to add the column metadata/formats for you.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Wait, just had some success with Base SAS, at least with "Accident8" (attached in a ZIP, 54K records, 6.75MB uncompressed).  However, these files reference user-defined formats that aren't resolving.  That might be part of the problem -- not sure.

king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7
it is helpful if you convert the files accident5.zip,accident6.zip,accident7.zip to .csv file
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I'm sorry @king_aj, but I don't have time to spend on this.  And now that I know that you can definitely do this yourself by using the already-available text versions of this data (available for every year -- example: ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/GES/GES96/ASCII/) -- I think you'll have a much higher level of satisfaction when you accomplish this.

Start here:

ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/GES

Navigate to each folder of data you need, select the ASCII version, which contains a ZIP file.  In the ZIP you'll have all of the info you need for each year.

\VEHICLE.TXT
\VEHTXT.SAS
\ACCIDENT.TXT
\ACCTXT.SAS
\PERSON.TXT
\PERTXT.SAS

You can read as fixed width text data in Excel (Data->Get External Data) and then add the header info yourself, or use the free SAS University Edition to run the supplied SAS program and read the data for you, then PROC EXPORT to the CSV or XLSX file that you want.

Edit: In looking further, I now realize that the supplied SAS program files create the flat file version of the data, not read in the data.  However, pretty simple task to turn that into an INFILE step and read the data according to the layout defined in the SAS program.

king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7

but .SSD file contains more attributes than ascii text file

king_aj
Obsidian | Level 7
is there any direct method to convert .ssd file into .csv file or not

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 13 likes
  • 7 in conversation