BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
l_gutierrez1808
Calcite | Level 5

Hi!

Given a dataset sorted by PID (ID of each participant, N=77) with several continuous variables. 

I want to obtain which are the observations (PID) with values > 2 SD from the mean.

I am working with data in a temporary dataset called -- cortical_stroke_complete2

The variable of interest is : PCh_CONTRA_entorhinal_tck

This is the code that I have been trying without success, I tried different variables and always obtained the same PID.

proc sql noprint;

select mean(PCh_CONTRA_entorhinal_tck) into : mean from cortical_stroke_complete2;

select std(PCh_CONTRA_entorhinal_tck) into :std from cortical_stroke_complete2;

quit;

data cortical_stroke_complete2;

set cortical_stroke_complete2;

where PCh_CONTRA_entorhinal_tck >&mean+2*&std ;

proc print;run;

Basic SAS programmer.

Thank you so much!

2 REPLIES 2
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

No need for macros to do that. Try this

proc sql;
select *
from cortical_stroke_complete2
having PCh_CONTRA_entorhinal_tck - mean(PCh_CONTRA_entorhinal_tck) > 2*std(PCh_CONTRA_entorhinal_tck);
quit;

(untested)

PG
Astounding
PROC Star

Getting the same PID each time does not mean anything is wrong.  It is possible that only one patient has outlier values.

When looking for values more than 2 standard deviations from the mean, you may have to consider two standard deviations in both directions.

where (PCh_Contra_entorhinal > &mean + 2*&std) or (PCh_Contra_entorhinal < &mean - 2*&std);

If you suspect this is not giving you the right result, print &mean and &std, and inspect 20 lines of data to see if you can confirm whether the result should be different.

Good luck.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation