BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pkfamily
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm having a simple issue where my numbers are truncated after using the input function to convert characters to numeric. Perhaps I am missusing the input function or using the wrong informat? Code Below

data test;
length x $11 y $9;
input x y $;
datalines;
-117.088178 32.706038
;
run;

data test_t;set test;
x_t=input(x,11.6);
y_t=input(y,9.6);
run;

When I print the dataset I would expect:

x                   y                    x_t              y_t  

-117.08817832.706038-117.08817832.706038

But I get:

x                   y                    x_t              y_t  
-117.08817832.706038-117.08832.7060

Any ideas? I'm currently using SAS 9.4 TS1M1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

You are using the input function correctly. Add a format statement when you print the file. e.g.:

proc print data=test_t;
  format x_t y_t best32.;
run;

HTH,

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
art297
Opal | Level 21

You are using the input function correctly. Add a format statement when you print the file. e.g.:

proc print data=test_t;
  format x_t y_t best32.;
run;

HTH,

pkfamily
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks! So the data is stored correctly. It is just the default format for printing the data does not show those extra decimels. 

art297
Opal | Level 21

Correct. I would include the format statement while creating the file. Then, procs (like proc print) would always honor it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Today is the last day to save with the early bird rate! Register today for just $695 - $100 off the standard rate.

Plus, pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation