BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

I am trying to calculate different duration periods that measure how long a firm remains in a given manager's portfolio. 

The data structure looks as follows:

1. There are distinct groups of two managers (where one of the managers may appear several times in the data in different groups).
  2. Within the groups, each manager holds several companies (some firms may be hold by both managers, but these cases are very rare).
  3. Whenever a manger holds a given company in his/her portfolio, then the manger has to disclose its share rate (reporting date is given). 
  4. NOTE: It is possible that there may be gaps between the reporting dates for a given group-manager-firm pair. Why does this happen? Occasionally, the manager buys shares of a given company, sell these shares, and then buys new shares after certain time has passed (i.e., this may happen with gaps). However, whenever rate >=0.01, the manager has to disclose the holding.  

What have I done?

1. I have calculated how long (i.e., many quarters ) a group-manager holds a given company. (Holding_Duration1), but have ignored any gaps (biasing this variable).
  2. I have calculated how long (i.e., many quarters ) a group-manager holds a given company in which the share rate is above 5%. (Holding_Duration2), but have ignored any gaps (biasing this variable).

What am I missing? (I want to overcome the bias of not taking into account for the gaps between reporting dates)

1. How many quarters has it passed since the first reporting date until the event date? (Event_minus_First)
  2. How many quartesr has it passed since the very last reporting data after which there were no reporting date gaps? (Last_Subsequent_Duration). NOTE: The reason of calculating this variable is to avoid the following problem. Assume in 2001Q1, a given manager purchased shares in firm ABC. Assume the manager hold his/her shares above 5% until 2003Q2, but then sold off all shares sometime between 2003Q2 and 2003Q3 (so that particular firm disappears in 2003Q2). Then in 2005Q1, the manager again purchased shares from firm ABC and hold his/her shares above 5% until the event date which was in 2008Q1. In this case, Last_Subsequent_Duration=12 because 12 quarters has passed since the most recent reporting date after which the manager did not sell his / her shares of company ABC.

Here are my "have" as well as "want" datasets:

DATA have1;
INPUT Mgrno Firm_ID $ Report_Date Date9. Rate;
FORMAT Report_Date Date9.;
DATALINES;
19500 12727AZ 31MAR1980 0.04
19500 12727AZ 30JUN1980 0.05
19500 12727AZ 30SEP1980 0.08
19500 12727AZ 31DEC1980 0.07
19500 12727AZ 31MAR1981 0.09
19500 12727AZ 30JUN1981 0.02
19500 12727AZ 30SEP1981 0.08
19500 12727AZ 31DEC1981 0.05
19500 12727AZ 31MAR1982 0.07
19500 12727AZ 30JUN1982 0.10
39547 12727AZ 30JUN1980 0.02
39547 12727AZ 30SEP1980 0.01
39547 12727AZ 31DEC1980 0.06
39547 12727AZ 31MAR1981 0.06
99999 731238A 31MAR1982 0.11
99999 731238A 30JUN1982 0.12
99999 731238A 30JUN1983 0.07
;
run; Data have2; INPUT Mgrno Firm_ID $ Event_Date Date9. Rate Group $; FORMAT Event_Date Date9.; DATALINES; 19500 12727AZ 31MAR1982 0.07 AA 39547 12727AZ 31MAR1981 0.06 BB 99999 731238A 30JUN1983 0.07 BB ; run;
/* Holding_Duration1=Number of quarters past until the event_date since the company was included in the portfolio of the manager for the first time until the event_date Holding_Duration1=Number of quarters past until the event_date since the company was included in the portfolio of the manager for the first time until the event_date as well as where the rate >= 0.05 Total=Number of quarter past from the first time the company was added into the porfolio until the event_date Event_minus_First= Event date - First date in terms of number of quarters
*/ Data want; INPUT Mgrno Firm_ID $ Event_Date Date9. Rate Group $ Holding_Duration1 Holding_Duration2 Total Event_minus_First Last_Subsequent_Duration; FORMAT Event_Date Date9.; DATALINES; 19500 12727AZ 31MAR1981 0.07 AA 8 6 8 8 6 39547 12727AZ 31MAR1981 0.06 BB 4 2 4 4 6 99999 731238A 30JUN1983 0.07 BB 3 3 3 7 1 ; run;

Here is my code for the "what I have done" part:

*First I will include all the reported holding filings of the manager for the given firm;
proc sql;
	create table first_method_V1 as 
	select *
	from have1 as a 
	right join have2 as b 
	on (a.mgrno=b.mgrno) & (a.firm_id=b.firm_id);
quit;

proc summary data=work.first_method_V1 nway;
  var Report_Date;
  class mgrno group;
  output out=work.Holding_Duration1
  n=Holding_Duration1;
run;

data only_5percent;
	set first_method_V1;
	if rate >= 0.05 & Event_Date >= Report_Date;
run;

proc summary data=work.only_5percent nway;
  var Report_Date;
  class mgrno group;
  output out=work.Holding_Duration2
  n=Holding_Duration2;
run;

data first_method_V2(drop= _TYPE_ _FREQ_);
	merge first_method_V1 Holding_Duration1 Holding_Duration2;
	by mgrno group;
run;

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help you may provide. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PhilC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I see, the concept of a Do "Whitlock" loop might be something to introduce here...

proc sort data=have1 out=have1_sorted ;
  by mgrno Firm_ID report_date;
quit;

data try (Keep=Mgrno Firm_ID beg_hold_period end_hold_period) ;
  do until (last.Firm_ID);
    set have1_sorted;
      by Mgrno Firm_ID Report_date;
      lag_Report_date=lag(Report_date);
      format beg_hold_period end_hold_period date9.;
    if first.FIRM_ID 
      then beg_hold_period=Report_date;
      else if intck("Month3", lag_Report_date,Report_date)>1 
then do; end_hold_period=lag_Report_date; output; beg_hold_period=Report_date; end; end; end_hold_period=Report_date; output; run;

not the complete solution but demostrates that a dataset can be created with one record per holding period, consisting of holdings held consecutive quarters. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PhilC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

use INTCK() function.  For your case the interval will be "MONTH3"  The interval being "Month" and the multiplier being "3".

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lefunctionsref/63354/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0syn64amr...

Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

@PhilC, thanks for the suggestion, but in the document it states the following:

"The intervals must be listed in ascending order. There cannot be gaps between intervals, and intervals cannot overlap."

The major issue I am having is that there may be some gaps between the interval and what I am trying to calculate is the most recent reporting date (before the event date) in which there are no gaps. Then, I can simply just calculate the quarters between these two dates.

Do you have any suggestions how to overcome this issue? 

Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

@PhilC with the intck() function, I can calculate the intervals but still have the gaps in between issue. To overcome that issue, I thought of making use of the lag() function and checking whether there are any gaps. What I am still missing is the following:

• Selecting the most recent starting date of reporting after which there are no gaps. In other words, how can I select the reporting date which is right after the last flag=1? That way, I can calculate the holding period during which there are no gaps.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Here is what I have added to the above code:

proc sort data=first_method_V2;
	by mgrno report_date;
quit;

data try;
	set first_method_V2;
	Q=intck('month3', Report_date, Event_date);
run;

data try;
	set try;
	gaps=Q-lag(Q);
	if gaps^=-1 then flag=1; else flag=0;
run;
PhilC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I see, the concept of a Do "Whitlock" loop might be something to introduce here...

quit;

do until (last.Firm_ID);
    set have1_sorted;
    if first.FIRM_ID 
      else if intck("Month3", lag_Report_date,Report_date)>1 
then do; end_hold_period=lag_Report_date; output; beg_hold_period=Report_date; end; end; end_hold_period=Report_date; output; run;

not the complete solution but demostrates that a dataset can be created with one record per holding period, consisting of holdings held consecutive quarters. 

Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks @PhilC. I will give it a try and keep you updated if I come up with a few other changes. 

Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

@PhilC, I just added a few lines to your code and I think the code is now working well:

quit;

do until (last.Firm_ID);
    set have1_sorted;
    if first.FIRM_ID 
      else if intck("Month3", lag_Report_date,Report_date)>1         then do;
    	  end_hold_period=lag_Report_date;
          output;
    	  beg_hold_period=Report_date;
    	end;
  end;
  end_hold_period=Report_date;
  output;
run;

*Added the part below ;

proc sort data=try;
	by mgrno firm_id descending end_hold_period;
quit;

proc sort data=try nodupkey;
	by mgrno firm_id;
quit;  

data merged;
	merge try have1 have2;
	by mgrno firm_id;
run;

data counting;
	set merged;
	if  Event_Date >= Report_Date >= beg_hold_period;
run;

proc summary data=work.counting nway;
  var Report_Date;
  class mgrno group;
  output out=work.duration
  n=duration;
run;

PhilC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

glad it worked

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation