BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ujjawal
Quartz | Level 8

I am trying to create a macro that calculates number of levels (distinct categories) for all the character variables in a dataset. Currently, i am using PROC SQL to calculate distinct categories. If i have 100 variables, i have to run PROC SQL 100 times in a loop. Is there a better way to do it? Is "stackods" kind of option available in PROC SQL so that i can reshape my dataset easily?

Sample Code -

proc sql;

create table abc as

select count(distinct(sex)) as sex_levels

from sashelp.class;

quit;

Sample Output -

VariableN_Levels
Sex2
Age6

It's just the sample code and output for 2 variables. I need to do it for all the character variables in a dataset.

Note : All my categorical variables are stored as character variables (string) in my dataset.

Thanks in anticipation!

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

PROC FREQ NLEVELS ....

Ron_MacroMaven
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am with Tom: proc.freq.nlevels provides the answer, ... for the variables in the data-set.

I have written several papers on extrapolating from n-levels.

the information you are seeking is in contents output data set which has a variable type -- in (1:n, 2:c)

you have to sort both out-nlevels and out-contents by name in order to merge them.

check this SASware ballot item.

Ron_MacroMaven
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

%let data = sashelp.class;

%let data = sashelp.heart;

proc freq data = &data

(keep = _character_)

nlevels;

ods       exclude onewayfreqs;

ods       output

nlevels = out_n_levels

(keep    =  tablevar nlevels

rename  = (tablevar = name

nlevels  = n_levels));

*to match  out_contents;

proc print;

devrant
Obsidian | Level 7

How would you tackle a data set with more than 70k levels for at least one variable? (proc freq always yields OoM error.)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation