DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Number of Patients with Particular Diagnosis

Occasional Contributor

Number of Patients with Particular Diagnosis

Hello,

I have a dataset of patients with up to ten different diagnoses (over ten different columns). Each patient, additionally, may have more than one occurrence.

How do I program SAS to count the number of patients (unique IDs) with a particular set of diagnoses (i.e. diagnosis 1 or diagnosis 2 or diagnosis 3)? I do not want a frequency count of diagnoses as one patient could return multiple times for the same diagnoses.

Thanks!

Super User

Re: Number of Patients with Particular Diagnosis

Depends a bit. A usual recommendation is to flip your data from wide to long and then do a double proc freq or SQL distinct to get the number of unique people, and use a WHERE clause or filter your diagnosis. 

Another option is is to create a flag for the diagnosis and loop through all the diagnoses and set the flag to 1 if the diagnosis is found. 

Then you do a distinct count with a filter on the flag value. 

A diagnosis usually isn't a single code, case definitions vary and both methods are equivalent. 

If you need to work with multiple diagnoses the first method is easier to extend. 

Occasional Contributor

Hi Reeza,

Do you recommend using the methos described in the following link to transform the data?

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi24/Advtutor/p48-24.pdf

Thanks!

Super User

I prefer proc transpose myself. More dynamic. 

Yes, probably in Base SAS, I'll move it. 

Occasional Contributor

I'll give that a shot. Thank you!
Occasional Contributor

Hi Reeza,

I tried to do proc transpose. My data has over 3 million observations and many columns. There are ten separate columns for diagnoses alone.

After running for two hours, I was unable to open the transposed file due to memory issues (not sure what that really means as everything else opens okay).

Super User

Then I suggest a datastep to transpose instead. Not all records have 10 diagnoses, many will be empty, correct? 

3 milllion x10 diagnoses - 30 million. Not a small amount but shouldn't cause SAS to crash... 

Super User

You've posted this in data mining are you using SAS EM?
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Reeza. I will try the first option and keep you updated.

I have SAS 9.4 and SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1. Should my post be in a different discussion board?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation