BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CG1
Calcite | Level 5 CG1
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Friend,

I have good SQL knowledge but new SAS learner, I need to count total number of observation from one data set

I am following  below steps 

data students;
input gender score;
cards;
1 48
1 45
2 50
2 42
1 41
2 51
1 52
1 43
2 52
;
run;

now I need total count from above table. 

proc sql;
select count(*) from students1;
quit;

above queyr will give output 9 but when I am converting ths into SAS code

data students1;
set students;
count + 1;
by gender;
if first.gender then count = 1;
run;

proc print data = students1;
run;

above code I find out from the google and also this is not giving output 9. I am on a SAS learning stage . Please help

Can you please help me to correct the code and get the count 9

2 REPLIES 2
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First of all, this happens:

31         data students1;
32         set students;
33         count + 1;
34         by gender;
35         if first.gender then count = 1;
36         run;

ERROR: BY variables are not properly sorted on data set WORK.STUDENTS.

So you have to do

proc sort data=students;
by gender;
run;

before you try that data step.

Now you get that output:

Obs    gender    score    count

1        1        48       1  
                                                   2        1        45       2  
                                                   3        1        41       3  
                                                   4        1        52       4  
                                                   5        1        43       5  
                                                   6        2        50       1  
                                                   7        2        42       2  
                                                   8        2        51       3  
                                                   9        2        52       4  

You can see that the final counts for both values of gender add up to 9.

To get a simple total count, do this:

data students1;
set students;
count + 1;
run;

Now, you can get the total number of observations in a dataset much easier (and quicker, once the datasets grow) by querying its metadata:

proc sql;
select nobs from dictionary.tables where libname = 'WORK' and memname = 'STUDENTS';
quit;
Reeza
Super User

Although you can count the number of obs using a data step you probably shouldn't. There are many ther ways to do so, one being querying the metadata tables and another is using a summary proc such as proc means or proc freq. 

proc means data=students;

class gender;

run;

proc freq data=students;

tables gender;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation