BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Karthikeyan
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

I've to read two variables of different format from a file and compare them, I read variables keeping them in the same dataset as ,

DATA INDATA ;

INFILE '.....................';

INPUT

@001     VAR1           13.2

@025     VAR2           18.2

;

IF   VAR1    NE   VAR2   THEN  DO;

END;

RUN;

Here the values of VAR1 and VAR2 are same, say 45869.32 I would expect that the statements within in the IF should not execute, but its not so. Which I thought is due to the format mismatch, so I tried formatting the variables with  same format , but the IF still executes.

Anyone have any idea on whats happening ?

Thanks!!

8 REPLIES 8
art297
Opal | Level 21

What are the statements that are executing?

Does the following work as expected for you?

DATA INDATA ;

INPUT

;

x=0;

END;

else x=1;

cards;

45869.32                45869.32

45869.32                45869.33

45869.34                45869.34

;

My guess is that you are trying to use an if then statement that conflicts with how SAS functions, namely what occurs during the compilation and what occurs during the execution phases.  Take a look at: http://analytics.ncsu.edu/sesug/2010/CC09.Whitlock.pdf

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Question: How do you tell if they are equal? Are they equal in the raw data or you think they are equal in the SAS table? if the former, then why you read them in different informat? Will the following example mimic your scenario:

data _null_;

input var1 4.2 @7 var2 5.2;

if var1=var2 then put "equal"; else put "not equal";

cards;

1.232 1.232

run;

Haikuo

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

comparing decimal fractions like 1.234 and 2.4 create difficulties because SAS stores these decimal fractions as log values in a way that could be called "imprecise most of the time". When the values are really integers like 2 rather than nearly an integer like 1.99999999999999999999 there is probably no comparison problem.

To ensure you get the two-decimal place equality between 1.229 and 1.2345 just convert to integers or strings, like

if round( var1 * 100 ) = round( var2 * 100 ) then /*equal */ ;

or 

if put( var1, 20.2) = put( var2, 20.2)  then /*'equal */ ;  

peterC    

Karthikeyan
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank You Peter , It worked .... Smiley Happy

I did this

DATA INDATA ;

INFILE '.....................';

INPUT

;

VAR1   = ROUND(VAR1 *100);

VAR2   = ROUND(VAR2 *100);

END;

RUN;

The IF condition failed as expected,this is how the VAR1 and VAR2 appears in the file

VAR1 :  0000012345.67

VAR2 : 000000000012345.67

Astounding
PROC Star

If you use that solution, you will be accepting a different sort of incorrect result.  These values will be found to be equal:

Does your incoming data always contain a decimal point for both variables?  If so, will there always be two digits after the decimal point?

Karthikeyan
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, the incoming the data will always be a decimal value with two digits after the decimal Point.So I thought  the idea of Multiplying by 100 makes sense.

Astounding
PROC Star

OK, if the data always contains the decimal point plus two digits after, you'll be fine.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I suspect that your INPUT statement is to blame.  From the data you posted it looks like VAR1 has a leading space so that by using 13.2 format you are not reading the 7 in the hundredths place that is in column 14.  Using INFORMATs for reading numbers is normally not needed.  In particular the only difference in result from using 13.2 instead of 18.2 is   just the number of characters read from the input file.  Do you need to use that style of input statement?

Why not re-write it using column input?

input var1 1-14 var2 25-42 ...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation