BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
holy9ner
Calcite | Level 5

Afternoon everyone, 

I was wondering how you go about proving that categorical varaibles are normal. For instance, I have married and not married, but how do i show that my distrobution is normal for this two categorical variables. A p-p and q-q plot will not work as those are supposed to be for continuous variables. Can anyone help me. what are some visual ways to prove that it is normal. I am only asking since we have so show we have our data from a normal distrobution in order to use it. 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The Normal distribution is for continuous quantities (weight, height, blood pressure). It is not appropriate for ordinal (age group, produce grade, education level) or nominal (gender, race) variables.

PG
holy9ner
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks PG, 

when when we are doing a significance test or a difference in portions we only have the numerical test, and no graphs to judge normalcy and independence on for categorical variables

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

What test(s) are you performing. Please share the SAS code.

PG
holy9ner
Calcite | Level 5
*95% confidence interval of the difference between not married and married;
proc freq data = project.termlifepartb;
tables marcat*policy/ norow riskdiff(cl=(wald mn));
run;

*95% significance(hypothesis test) of married and unmarried by yes or no policy;
proc freq data=project.termlifepartb order=data;
tables marcat*policy/ nopercent norow chisq relrisk;
run;

I am doing 95% confidence interval for the difference in marriage category vs having an insurance policy and the second bit of code is for a hypothesis test of  the difference in porportions of marriage category vs having an insurance policy. I was hypothesiing that people who are married will buy more insurance. my second bit of code output has its chi squared as being less than .05 so i reject that there is no difference and say that there is almost a 2.5 times more likely of a chance that if you are married that you wil possess term life insurance. 

my issue is there are two conditions to do diference in proportions and they are sample proportions are available based on independent randomly selected samples from two populations and that np, n(1-p) are greater than or equal to 10.  my question is how do i know they are randomly if i have no way to test categorical variables.

I attached my file as wel

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation