DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Newbie question here

New Contributor

Newbie question here

Hi all,

Pretty new SAS user here and I have search around (google) for this answer but i cant seem to find a good explanation. Can someone give me a hand and take 1 min to reply.

In the following code:
DATA _NULL_ ;
CALL SYMPUT ( 'n_obs' , put ( n_obs, 5. ) ) ;
STOP ;
SET dsname nobs = n_obs;
RUN ;

What does the '5' represent and what is it function?

Thanks!
SAS Employee

Re: Newbie question here

The "5." is a numeric format. It says that the output field should have a width of 5. You should always look first in the SAS documentation instead of Google. To learn about the format, look in Base SAS: SAS Language Reference: Dictionary: Dictionary of Language Elements: Formats, for the "w.d" numeric format. Next learn about the "PUT function" that is using that format, by looking in Base SAS: SAS Language Reference: Dictionary: Dictionary of Language Elements: Functions and CALL Routines for "PUT function".
New Contributor

thank you very much for the time. I will work on the better research methods you describe! Smiley Happy
SAS Employee

You're welcome. You may want to read the documentation for the "CALL SYMPUT Routine", also in the "Functions and CALL Routines" section.
SAS Employee

I may have been wrong to assume you have documentation available. Do you have anything? What do you get when you use the SAS Help menu? I am not much help if I tell you to look in documentation that you don't have.
New Contributor

I was able to find all the references you suggested online. They all start with the address support.sas.com/documentation.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation