BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ANWZimmerman
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm using PC SAS 9.4M3.

I've done some time series modeling, generated scoring code, and I'm trying to predict into the future.  But the issue I'm having is that I've been aksed to use AdaptiveReg and not TimeSeries so I had to code the lag variables myself. No problem there.

Where I'm running into issues is with the circular logic, for each row in my data, after the actuals, I need to grab the previous value, score the model, then store that prediction so I can grab it for the next row.  Sounds simple enough.

So for a simplificaion let's say I have a dataset like this where A is my dep var and Z is my prediction.  It is simply 2*LAG_A. I have 4 months of data and I'm trying to predict out to month 9.

month a lag_a z
1 2 . .
2 3 2 4
3 5 3 6
4   5 10

I tried something like the following:

data scored;

set actuals;/*the above table without column z*/

z=2*Lag_A;

if a=. then a=z;/*take the predicted value as my dep var where I have no actuals*/

temp_lag=lag(a);/*I want the lag to execute each time so all values go into the queue*/

if lag_a=. then lag_a=temp_lag;/*only fill in if I don't have the actual value already there*/

run;

this works great for month 4, but not for month 5 since I need the lag statement before I calculate z (otherwise I don't have a value in lag_a), BUT I can't really do that since it loads the value of a to the queue and before I calculate Z, A is missing.

I tried to do the lag before and after, thinking that doing it before would grab the value from the queue while loading a missing to the queue, and then doing it again after scoring would put the correct value in the queue, but that didn't work as I expected either.

data scored;

temp_lag=lag(a);/*grab last value from queue*/

z=2*Lag_A;

if a=. then a=z;/*take the predicted value as my dep var where I have no actuals*/

temp_lag=lag(a);/*write the new value of a to the queue*/

if lag_a=. then lag_a=temp_lag;/*only fill in if I don't have the actual value already there*/

run;

The only change is that lag_a does get filled in, but z still doesn't calculate correctly, it's still getting missing values from the queue.

I thought maybe I coudl do SYMGET before calculating Z and then do a CALL SYMPUT after calculations, but my understanding is that the macro var CALL SYMPUT creates isn't available till after the RUN;

Is there any hope?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Numbers are worth thousand words.

Here is a very simple array approach. No need to use lag() function.  I assumed your months are numbers like 1 , 2 , ...

But it doesn't affect the array approach. The steps are:

[1] Store the values of A into an array (K[]) which is indexed by MONTH.

[2] Getting the lag1 for Month i is simply to get the value of A corresponding to (i-1)th month.

[3] When A is missing, we use the lag value, compute Z and replace the missing value by Z in the array.

data want;
   array k[9] _temporary_;
   do until(eof);
      set have end = eof;
      k[month] = a;
   end;
   month = 1;
   a = k[1];
   output;
   do i = 2 to 9;
      month = i;
      if k[i] = . then do;
         lag_a = k[i-1];
         z = 2 * lag_a;
         a = z;
         k[i] = a;
      end;
      else do;
         a = k[i];
         lag_a = k[i - 1];
         z = 2 * lag_a;
      end;
      output;
   end;
drop i;
run;

If you have any problem to handle the array because of then values of month, come back and tell how your real months are. It can be handled by the array. 

Hope this solution is acceptable to you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Store for the NEXT row would use RETAIN.

I think what you want is

Retain Lag_a;

BUT you need to assign a value to it for everytime you expect to need it

I can't tell if the data you show is what you are getting or want.

Macro varibles are really not needed and very likelyt to not work the way you want.

You didn't give much of an example but this may be what your are looking for:

data scored;
   retain lag_A .;
   temp_lag=lag(a);/*write the new value of a to the queue*/

z=2*Lag_a;
   if a=. then a=z;
   lag_A =a;  /* saves the current value of a */

run;
ANWZimmerman
Obsidian | Level 7
The problem with retain is that I don't want the new record's lag_a to equal the previous record's lag_a, I need it to equal the last records A.

After chatting with my boss, I'm going to explore HASH. I think it will give me the flexibility to grab the value of A from the previous record, store that as Lag_a for this record, calculate Z, then store that as A, then be able to grab that value at the start of the next row's calculations.
ballardw
Super User

Before leaving a record the code I provided sets the Lag_a value to the value of A, not to Lag(a).

Did you try running the code?

The logic for Hash is going to be very similar for Retain.

ANWZimmerman
Obsidian | Level 7

I see now that I lost the desired results. (I had typed it all up, had to take care of something else, came back, made sure it was ready to post, hit post, but I had timed out so I lost the whole post)

Here is what I want to end up with.

month a lag_a z
1 2 . .
2 3 2 4
3 5 3 6
4 10 5 10
5 20 10 20
6 40 20 40
7 80 40 80
8 160 80 160
9 320 160 320

KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Numbers are worth thousand words.

Here is a very simple array approach. No need to use lag() function.  I assumed your months are numbers like 1 , 2 , ...

But it doesn't affect the array approach. The steps are:

[1] Store the values of A into an array (K[]) which is indexed by MONTH.

[2] Getting the lag1 for Month i is simply to get the value of A corresponding to (i-1)th month.

[3] When A is missing, we use the lag value, compute Z and replace the missing value by Z in the array.

data want;
   array k[9] _temporary_;
   do until(eof);
      set have end = eof;
      k[month] = a;
   end;
   month = 1;
   a = k[1];
   output;
   do i = 2 to 9;
      month = i;
      if k[i] = . then do;
         lag_a = k[i-1];
         z = 2 * lag_a;
         a = z;
         k[i] = a;
      end;
      else do;
         a = k[i];
         lag_a = k[i - 1];
         z = 2 * lag_a;
      end;
      output;
   end;
drop i;
run;

If you have any problem to handle the array because of then values of month, come back and tell how your real months are. It can be handled by the array. 

Hope this solution is acceptable to you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation