BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gsnidow
Obsidian | Level 7

Greetings.  I am trying to load some addresses into one column of a dataset by using a datalines statement.  When I run the below, only about half of the addresses are being loaded.  I have tried cards, and messing with the format to no avail.  I think it must be something simple, but I can't get it.  One other thing, now I cannot even paste into this post, so the code is attached.  I apologize for the inconvenience.  Thank you.

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

Add an ampersand.  i.e.,

input Address & $100.;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
art297
Opal | Level 21

Add an ampersand.  i.e.,

input Address & $100.;

gsnidow
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Arthur, that worked like a charm.

Greg

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The & will allow SAS to read variable length data, but it will truncate when it sees two adjacent spaces.

You can add an INFILE statement so that you can use the TRUNCOVER option.

data Addresses;

infile datalines truncover;

input Address $100.;

datalines;

Or you could use the _INFILE_ automatic variable.

data Addresses;

length address $100;

input;

address=_infile_;

datalines;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation