BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ncsthbell
Quartz | Level 8

I am working on reports where the users may enter up to 20+ prompt filters.   What I need to do is create a work table that would included column names for 'Prompt1_ColName',  'Prompt1_Value', 'Prompt2_ColName',  'Prompt2_Value'... and so on.

I am testing the length of the prompts to check if a value has been entered.  I would like to create a work table that contains these values so I can use it for reporting.  Not sure about best way to create the work table.  I have only created tables using select queries.  In looking at using a data step, it looks like tthis is only for creating datasets.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

OK ... not always ... but I see where you are coming from.  There are permanent SAS data sets and temporary SAS data sets (stored in the WORK area), which use the same structure.  If you wanted to keep the SAS data sets permanently, but distinguish which one belonged to which user, you might name them perm._&sysuserid (assuming that &sysuserid contains legal characters for a data set name).

Moving from macro variables to a data set might require defining a macro, to be able to use a %DO loop.  But it could be done along these lines:

data want;

%do i=1 %to 20;

col_no = &i;

col_name = "prompt&i._colname";

col_value = "prompt&i._value";

output;

%end;

run;

This code makes the names and values character.  If COL_VALUE is character some of the time, it has to be character all the time.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
daddio42
Calcite | Level 5

Option1: If you are using SAS Enterprise Guide, there is a capability called "Prompt Manager" that provides the capability to display prompts to the user at run time. These prompts are stored as global macro variables which can be used throughout the session.

Option2: Create a confi sas program which is executed 1st using %LET = for each user prompt, thereby storing the prompt values in global macro variables which can be used throughout the session.

Option3: Create a reference sas dataset with prompt names and values and read the values into global macro variables which can be used throughout the session.

ncsthbell
Quartz | Level 8

Hello ddadio42,

Option1 - I am not using EG, use SAS Base code

Option2 - I am currently using a %Let statement in my code to create a global variable for each prompt.

Option3 - I would prefer not to create a dataset that holds the prompt values as there will be many users of these reports and I don't want to have any conflicts with the dataset.  That is why I want to build a work table.

Astounding
PROC Star

Regardless of the method you choose, I would suggest changing the structure.  It will be much more flexible to use 20+ records, each with 3 columns:  prompt_no (1-20), prompt_name, prompt_value.

ncsthbell
Quartz | Level 8

Astounding, 

What you stated is exactly what I am doing, however, I just can't figure out how to get each row into a work table, not a dataset.

Thanks!

ncsthbell
Quartz | Level 8

Doesn't a sas dataset have to have a physical permanent location where a work table is on the sas server?  I have not worked with SAS datasets either, only SAS tables.   So, for that reason I also thought it would be better for me to use a work table.

I want to take this table and use as source into a proc report.

Astounding
PROC Star

OK ... not always ... but I see where you are coming from.  There are permanent SAS data sets and temporary SAS data sets (stored in the WORK area), which use the same structure.  If you wanted to keep the SAS data sets permanently, but distinguish which one belonged to which user, you might name them perm._&sysuserid (assuming that &sysuserid contains legal characters for a data set name).

Moving from macro variables to a data set might require defining a macro, to be able to use a %DO loop.  But it could be done along these lines:

data want;

%do i=1 %to 20;

col_no = &i;

col_name = "prompt&i._colname";

col_value = "prompt&i._value";

output;

%end;

run;

This code makes the names and values character.  If COL_VALUE is character some of the time, it has to be character all the time.

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

What about SYMGET? 

@Astounding wrote:

Astounding
PROC Star

Good idea.  SYMGET would work nicely here.  You could use a DATA step DO loop (containing an OUTPUT statement) instead of a macro loop.

Also note, you will need to pay attention to the lengths of the variables.  SYMGET handles that automatically, creating character variables that are $200 long.  My code uses the length of the first prompt entered, which may be too short for later prompts.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation