BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SMcelroy1287
Obsidian | Level 7

I have two datasets that I am working with each with different information. The first dataset contains all cases and outcome data, i.e. outcome date, county, zip code, and other covariates. The second consists of all my potential controls, which has environmental covariates and the date. I have calculated propensity scores for both data sets. I would like to match 1 case with 4 controls via the closest propensity score, and I would like to do this for every case in my data set. For example, if I have a case with a propensity score of 0.56678 I would like 4 controls with the closest propensity score to 0.56678 i.e. .56677, .56679, .56680, .56676.T he matching control propensity scores can be less than, equal to, or greater than the case propensity score.  I would also like to put a restriction on matching by only selecting controls within +/- 30 days of my outcome. So if a control has a propensity score very close to the case propensity score, but the control date falls outside the range of +/- 30 days of the outcome date, it will not be matched as a control. Thank you all in advance! Please let me know if I need to explain things further!

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

I think MayoClinic has a few macros that will do this. They're on their webpage.

SMcelroy1287
Obsidian | Level 7

I have already tried their macro and I can not get it to work. I am not proficient enough to fix the code myself but thank you for the suggestion!

ballardw
Super User

@SMcelroy1287 wrote:

I have already tried their macro and I can not get it to work. I am not proficient enough to fix the code myself but thank you for the suggestion!

Doesn't work is awful vague.

To help debug macros, or even just see what it did with your data set OPTIONS MPRINT SYMBOLGEN; and maybe MLOGIC if the macro would have lots of branches.

Are there errors in the log?: Post the code and log in a code box opened with the {i} to maintain formatting of error messages.

No output? Post any log in a code box.

Unexpected output? Provide input data in the form of a dataset, the actual results and the expected results. Data should be in the form of a data step. Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the {i} icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

SMcelroy1287
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello! Sorry I am new to the SAS community and did not know you could do that. Here are my code and log. I was hoping there would be an easier way to get my desired results utilizing PROC SQL. Thank you for your response 

%macro dist(data=,id=,group=,mvars=,wts=,dmax=,dmaxk=, time=,transf=0,dist=1,out=_dist,printd=n, vmatch=n,a=,b=,lilm=,outm=_match,printm=n,summatch=n); %global firstco lastco nvar _match; *10.22.03--added _match; %let bad=0; %IF %LENGTH(&MVARS)=0 %THEN %DO; %PUT 'ERROR: NO MATCHING VARIABLES SUPPLIED'; %LET BAD=1; %END; %IF %LENGTH(&WTS)=0 %THEN %DO; %PUT 'ERROR: NO WEIGHTS SUPPLIED'; %LET BAD=1; %END; %LET NVAR=0; %DO %UNTIL(%SCAN(&MVARS,&NVAR+1,' ')= ); %LET NVAR=%EVAL(&NVAR+1); %END; %LET NWTS=0; %DO %UNTIL(%SCAN(&WTS,&NWTS+1,' ')= ); %LET NWTS=%EVAL(&NWTS+1); %END; %IF &NVAR^= &NWTS %THEN %DO; %PUT 'ERROR: #VARS MUST EQUAL #WTS'; %LET BAD=1; %END; %LET NK=0; %IF %QUOTE(&DMAXK)^= %THEN %DO %UNTIL(%QSCAN(&DMAXK,&NK+1,' ')= ); %LET NK=%EVAL(&NK+1); %END; %IF &NK>&NVAR %THEN %LET NK=&NVAR; %DO I=1 %TO &NVAR; %LET V&I=%SCAN(&MVARS,&I,' '); %END; %IF &NWTS>0 %THEN %DO; DATA _NULL_; %DO I=1 %TO &NWTS; %LET W&I=%SCAN(&WTS,&I,' '); IF &&W&I<0 THEN DO; PUT 'ERROR: WEIGHTS MUST BE NON-NEGATIVE'; CALL SYMPUT('BAD','1'); END; %END; RUN; %END; %IF &NK>0 %THEN %DO; DATA _NULL_; %DO I=1 %TO &NK; %LET K&I=%SCAN(&DMAXK,&I,' '); IF &&K&I<0 THEN DO; PUT 'ERROR: DMAXK VALUES MUST BE NON-NEGATIVE'; CALL SYMPUT('BAD','1'); END; %END; RUN; %END; %IF %upcase(&vmatch)=Y and (&a= or &b= or &lilm= ) %then %do; %PUT 'ERROR: VMATCH option, but missing a, b, or lilm'; %LET BAD=1; %END; %if &bad=0 %then %do; *** delete obs with missing mvar or id var from input dataset; data _check; set &data; dum=.; __id=&id; if __id="" then delete; %do z=1 %to &nvar; if %scan(&mvars,&z)=. then delete; %end; %if &time^= %then %do; if &time lt 0 then delete; %end; keep __id &id &group dum &mvars &time; run; proc sort data=_check; by &group __id; **was &id; *** transform data if requested/separate cases & controls; %if &transf=1 %then %do; proc standard data=_check m=0 s=1 out=_stdzd; var &mvars; data _caco; set _stdzd; %end; %if &transf=2 %then %do; proc rank data=_check out=_ranks; var &mvars; data _caco; set _ranks; %end; %if &transf=0 %then %do; data _caco; set _check; %end; data _case; set _caco; if &group=1; rename %do k=1 %to &nvar; %scan(&mvars,&k)=__ca&k %end; ; %if &time^= %then %do; __tca=&time; drop &time; %end; %else %do; __tca=.; %end; run; data _cont; set _caco; if &group=0; __contid="_C" || left(put( _n_,best10.)); *assign dummy names to controls; __labl="_L" || left(put( _n_,best10.)); *assign label names to controls; call symput(__labl,__id); *assign mvars _L1,_L2, etc to original var names; rename %do k=1 %to &nvar; %scan(&mvars,&k)=__co&k %end; ; %if &time^= %then %do; __tco=&time; drop &time; %end; %else %do; __tco=.; %end; run; %put &_L1 &_L2 &_L3 &_L4 ; * proc print data=_cont; %nobs(dsn=_case,macvar=ncase); %nobs(dsn=_cont,macvar=ncont); *run; **compute distance matrix; data &out; keep &id _C1-_C&ncont; do i=1 to &ncase; **no. cases; set _case point=i; array dij[*] _C1-_C&ncont; do j=1 to &ncont; **no. controls; set _cont(drop=&id) point=j; %if &dist=2 %then %do; **wtd euclidian dist; dij[j]= sqrt( %do k=1 %to &nvar; %scan(&wts,&k)*(__ca&k - __co&k)**2 %if &k<&nvar %then + ; %end; ); %end; %else %do; **wtd sum absolute diff; dij[j]= %do k=1 %to &nvar; %scan(&wts,&k)*abs(__ca&k - __co&k ) %if &k<&nvar %then + ; %end; ; %end; **total distance caliper; %if &dmax ^= %then %do; if dij[j]>&dmax then dij[j]=.; **distance too large; %end; ** case-control delta not within calipers for var k**; %if %quote(&dmaxk)^= %then %do; %do k=1 %to &nvar; if abs(__ca&k - __co&k)>%scan(&dmaxk,&k,' ') then dij[j]=.; %end; %end; %if &time ^= %then %do; if __tco le __tca then dij[j]=.; **control j not in risk set for case i; %end; end; ** end of loop for controls; output; end; ** end of loop for cases; stop; %end; run; %if %upcase(&printd)=Y %then %do; proc print label data=&out; label %do zz=1 %to &ncont; _C&zz=&&_L&zz %end; ; %end; footnote"Dist macro: data=&data id=&id group=&group mvars=&mvars wts=&wts"; footnote2"dmaxk=&dmaxk dmax=&dmax time=&time transf=&transf dist=&dist out=&out"; run; %if %upcase(&vmatch)=Y %then %do; %vmatch(dist=&out,idca=&id,a=&a,b=&b,lilm=&lilm,n=&ncase, firstco=_C1,lastco=_C&ncont, print=&printm,fixprt=Y,out=&outm); %if %upcase(&summatch)=Y %then %do; data goodca; merge &outm(in=inm) _case(rename=(__id=idca)); by idca; if inm; proc sort data=goodca; by idca idco; * proc print; proc sort data=&outm; by idco; proc sort data=_cont; by __id; data goodco; merge &outm(in=inm) _cont(rename=(__id=idco)); by idco; if inm; proc sort data=goodco; by idca idco; * proc print; data __goodm; merge goodco goodca; by idca idco; keep idca idco __dij __dtime __tca __tco %do i=1 %to &nvar; __ca&i __co&i __d&i __absd&i %end; ; __dij=dij; %do i=1 %to &nvar; __d&i=(__ca&i - __co&i); **raw diff; __absd&i=abs(__ca&i - __co&i); **abs diff; %end; __dtime=__tco-__tca; label idca="&id/CASE" idco="&id/CONTROL" __dij="Weighted/Difference" __dtime="&time/TIME DIFF" __tca="&time/CASE TIME" __tco="&time/CONT TIME" %do i=1 %to &nvar; %let vvar=%scan(&mvars,&i); __absd&i="&vvar/ABS. DIFF" __ca&i="&vvar/CASE" __co&i="&vvar/CONTROL" %end; ; title9"Listing of Matched Cases and Controls"; footnote"Dist macro: data=&data id=&id group=&group mvars=&mvars wts=&wts"; footnote2"dmaxk=&dmaxk dmax=&dmax time=&time transf=&transf dist=&dist out=&out"; footnote3" Variable Optimal Matching option: a=&a b=&b m=&lilm N=&Ncase"; proc print data=__goodm label split='/'; var idca idco __dij %do i=1 %to &nvar; __absd&i %end; %do i=1 %to &nvar; __ca&i __co&i %end; __dtime __tca __tco; sum __dij; run; title9"Summary statistics--case vs control, one obs per matched control"; %if &sysver ge 8 %then %do; proc means data=__goodm maxdec=3 fw=8 n mean median min p10 p25 p75 p90 max sum; %end; %else %do; proc means data=__goodm maxdec=3 n mean min max sum; %end; var __dij %do i=1 %to &nvar; __absd&i %end; %do i=1 %to &nvar; __ca&i __co&i %end; __dtime __tca __tco; *** estimate matching var means within matched sets for controls; proc means data=__goodm n mean noprint; by idca; var __dij %do i=1 %to &nvar; __co&i %end; __tco; output out=mcont n=n_co mean=__dijm %do i=1 %to &nvar; __com&i %end; __tcom; data onecase; set __goodm; by idca; if first.idca; data __camcon; merge onecase mcont; by idca; keep idca n_co __dijm __dtime __tca __tcom %do i=1 %to &nvar; __ca&i __com&i __actd&i __absd&i %end; ; %do i=1 %to &nvar; __absd&i=abs(__ca&i - __com&i); __actd&i=(__ca&i - __com&i); %end; __dtime=__tcom-__tca; label n_co="No./CONTROLS" __dijm="Average/Dij" __dtime="&time/Mean Time DIFF" __tcom="&time/Mean CONT TIME" %do i=1 %to &nvar; %let vvar=%scan(&mvars,&i); __absd&i="&vvar/Mean ABS. DIFF" __com&i="&vvar/Mean CONTROL" %end; ; /* proc print data=__camcon label split='/'; var idca n_co %do i=1 %to &nvar; __absd&i %end; __dtime %do i=1 %to &nvar; __ca&i __com&i %end; __tca __tcom; sum __dijm; */ title9"Summary statistics--case vs mean of matched controls, one obs per case"; %if &sysver ge 8 %then %do; proc means data=__camcon maxdec=3 fw=8 n mean median min p10 p25 p75 p90 max sum; %end; %else %do; proc means data=__camcon maxdec=3 n mean min max sum; %end; var n_co __dijm %do i=1 %to &nvar; __absd&i %end; %do i=1 %to &nvar; __ca&i __com&i %end; __dtime __tca __tcom; %end; **end of loop for summatch=y; %end; ** end of loop for vmatch=y; run; footnote; %mend dist; %dist(data=PS_NN,id=id_t, group=preterm, mvars=ps, wts=1, dmax=, time=nbthdate, out=ps_nn1,vmatch=Y,a=3,b=4,lilm=1530917, printm=y,summatch=n, outm=ps_nn2); LOG OUTPUT: 7391 %dist(data=PS_NN,id=id_t, group=preterm, mvars=ps, wts=1, dmax=, time=nbthdate, 7392 out=ps_nn1,vmatch=Y,a=3,b=4,lilm=1530917, printm=y,summatch=n, outm=ps_nn2); NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 0.00 seconds cpu time 0.00 seconds NOTE: Character values have been converted to numeric values at the places given by: (Line):(Column). 9:121 NOTE: There were 1576812 observations read from the data set WORK.PS_NN. NOTE: The data set WORK._CHECK has 37914 observations and 6 variables. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 0.17 seconds cpu time 0.17 seconds NOTE: There were 37914 observations read from the data set WORK._CHECK. NOTE: The data set WORK._CHECK has 37914 observations and 6 variables. NOTE: PROCEDURE SORT used (Total process time): real time 0.02 seconds cpu time 0.01 seconds NOTE: There were 37914 observations read from the data set WORK._CHECK. NOTE: The data set WORK._CACO has 37914 observations and 6 variables. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 0.01 seconds cpu time 0.00 seconds NOTE: There were 37914 observations read from the data set WORK._CACO. NOTE: The data set WORK._CASE has 37914 observations and 6 variables. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 0.01 seconds cpu time 0.00 seconds NOTE: Numeric values have been converted to character values at the places given by: (Line):(Column). 28:217 NOTE: There were 37914 observations read from the data set WORK._CACO. NOTE: The data set WORK._CONT has 0 observations and 8 variables. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 0.01 seconds cpu time 0.01 seconds WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference _L1 not resolved. WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference _L2 not resolved. WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference _L3 not resolved. WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference _L4 not resolved. &_L1 &_L2 &_L3 &_L4 WARNING: Apparent invocation of macro NOBS not resolved. NOTE: Line generated by the invoked macro "DIST". 40 * proc print data=_cont; %nobs(dsn=_case,macvar=ncase); - 180 ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order. WARNING: Apparent invocation of macro NOBS not resolved. NOTE: Line generated by the invoked macro "DIST". 40 %nobs(dsn=_cont,macvar=ncont); - 180 ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order. 22: LINE and COLUMN cannot be determined. NOTE 242-205: NOSPOOL is on. Rerunning with OPTION SPOOL might allow recovery of the LINE and COLUMN where the error has occurred. ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, ;, _ALL_, _CHARACTER_, _CHAR_, _NUMERIC_. 200: LINE and COLUMN cannot be determined. NOTE: NOSPOOL is on. Rerunning with OPTION SPOOL might allow recovery of the LINE and COLUMN where the error has occurred. ERROR 200-322: The symbol is not recognized and will be ignored. 22: LINE and COLUMN cannot be determined. NOTE 242-205: NOSPOOL is on. Rerunning with OPTION SPOOL might allow recovery of the LINE and COLUMN where the error has occurred. ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant, a missing value, INPUT, PUT. WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference NCONT not resolved. ERROR: Missing numeric suffix on a numbered variable list (_C1-_C). WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference NCASE not resolved. 22: LINE and COLUMN cannot be determined. NOTE 242-205: NOSPOOL is on. Rerunning with OPTION SPOOL might allow recovery of the LINE and COLUMN where the error has occurred. ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, (, ;, _ALL_, _CHARACTER_, _CHAR_, _NUMERIC_. 200: LINE and COLUMN cannot be determined. NOTE: NOSPOOL is on. Rerunning with OPTION SPOOL might allow recovery of the LINE and COLUMN where the error has occurred. ERROR 200-322: The symbol is not recognized and will be ignored. WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference NCONT not resolved. ERROR: Missing numeric suffix on a numbered variable list (_C1-_C). NOTE: Line generated by the invoked macro "DIST". 41 to &ncont; **no. controls; set _cont(drop=&id) point=j; - 22 WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference NCONT not resolved. ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant, a missing value, INPUT, PUT. WARNING: Not all variables in the list _00-_0 were found. NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors. WARNING: The data set WORK.PS_NN1 may be incomplete. When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 2 variables. WARNING: Data set WORK.PS_NN1 was not replaced because this step was stopped. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 0.02 seconds cpu time 0.01 seconds WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference NCASE not resolved. WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference NCONT not resolved. NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "N". 1 &ncase - 22 WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference NCASE not resolved. ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant, a missing value, INPUT, PUT. NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors. WARNING: The data set WORK.DIST1 may be incomplete. When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 8 variables. WARNING: Data set WORK.DIST1 was not replaced because this step was stopped. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 0.01 seconds cpu time 0.00 seconds WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference KMV not resolved. &kmv WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference KMV not resolved. ERROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric operand is required. The condition was: &kmv gt 0 ERROR: The macro VMATCH will stop executing. NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors. WARNING: The data set WORK.DIST2 may be incomplete. When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 9 variables. WARNING: Data set WORK.DIST2 was not replaced because this step was stopped. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 0.00 seconds cpu time 0.00 seconds NOTE: Line generated by the invoked macro "DIST". 64 footnote; - 117 ERROR 117-185: There were 2 unclosed DO blocks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation