1               FG

1               YG

need final result:

sub        model       model_site

1            CT             CT

1            US             FG

1            xR              YG

1            CP

basically i have 2 different data set with subject and model. 'A' data set has 4 observations and 'B' data set has 3 observation. i need to merge this data set by Subject  but i need to last row of  model_site is missing.

3 REPLIES 3
Astounding
PROC Star

Assuming you have already sorted your data sets, here is the simplest way:

data want;

merge A B;

by sub;

output;

model = ' ';

model_site = ' ';

run;

Reeza
Super User

Do you have multiple subjects? 

Otherwise a MERGE without a BY statement is all you need, but I highly suspect your problem is more complicated. 

Make sure your sample data accurately reflects your real data.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Normally that is not what people want to do when they have two datasets with repeating by groups, but luckily for you it is very similar to how SAS data step merge handles combining observations when datasets contribute multiple observations per group.  But normal SAS behavior is to retain the values from the last observation of the dataset with fewer observations.  

You cannot prevent the retaining, but you can add code to write the observation and then clear all of the variables so nothing is retained.

data want ;
  merge A B ;
  by sub ;
  output;
  call missing(of _all_);
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation