BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mroy01
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there,

I have a dataset with a number of same id and different observations for another dummy variable.  I hope to make it so that there's one row for each id and the count becomes a sum of all of the observations. Such as

1 1 

2 1

3 0

1 1

4 1

2 1

3 1

4 0

5 0

1 1

Becoming

1 3

2 2

3 1

4 1

5 0

Gratefully, 

SAS 9.3

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

SAS knows how to do that:

proc summary data=have nway;

class id;

var dummy;

output out=want (keep=id total) sum=total;

run;

mroy01
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for this tip!  I forgot to mention that I'm hoping to keep other variables in the summary as well.  Any ideas to achieve that?

Kindly,

Matt

Astounding
PROC Star

You can keep other variables.  But you have to choose from among more than one value.  When you get a sum, that comes from many observations, but only one of the values of those other variables can be saved.

Take a look at MINID and MAXID.  You can select whether you want the minimum or the maximum value of the "other" variables kept in the summary data set.

kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

something like below

proc sql;

select id, sum(secondcolumn) as secondcolumn

from yourtable

group by id;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation