BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
malcolmM78
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Everyone, 

Math is not a major in all of my studies, and I have not been great at math. I am interested in learning SAS and intend to do the basic certification. Does learning SAS involve any math calculation or anything to do with math at all? As silly as this sounds, but I am just wondring...any of your valuable inputs and advise would be much appreciated. 

Thank you !

Regards

Malcolm 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

A common type of issue that comes up in programming is something like this:

I have a variable in a text file that occupies 23 character spaces and starts in column 15. What column does the variable end at?

If you find that question difficult to deal with you may have issues.

And the answer is 37.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Learning SAS menas, first of all, learning programming language.

SAS programming means, mainly, data processing, data analysis and reporting.

To program you need understand basic computer structure.

Math is the core of understanding the infrastructure of computers and of 

computer language developing.

For programming you need just elemantary math.

malcolmM78
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Shmuel !! That's encouraging 🙂

Ksharp
Super User
If it is only SAS programming, that is OK, no need any Math. But If it is IML programming, you need a strong Math background .
malcolmM78
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Ksharp ! Highly appreciate your input. What is IML programming? Is it a part of SAS?

Ksharp
Super User
IML is another kind of sas language.
If you want develop a new statistical method, you gonna need it.

Reeza
Super User

One of benefits of learning as an adult is the topics are much more practical and applied. It makes the learning easier. Also, because you were bad at something in the past doesn't mean you will be in the future. 

Programming is logic. If you want to program well: learn logic. Practice pseudo coding problems. Sometimes SAS is easier to learn just because it doesn't follow the math/matrix notation. 

malcolmM78
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Reeza for those encouraging positive words ! Helps me to look further into SAS. I am working in healthcare and I would liek to establish a career in SAS with healthcare ! Greatly appreciate your inputs !

ballardw
Super User

A common type of issue that comes up in programming is something like this:

I have a variable in a text file that occupies 23 character spaces and starts in column 15. What column does the variable end at?

If you find that question difficult to deal with you may have issues.

And the answer is 37.

malcolmM78
Obsidian | Level 7

That was very practical ballardw !! Thank you !! I  sure hope I can learn SAS given this example 🙂

Thank you !!

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Malcolm,

As others have mentioned, you don't need much, if any, formal math training to use SAS as a programmer.  Logic and organizational skills are much more valuable.

However, to use and understand many of the SAS/Stat procedures, additional mathematics and statistics training are required.  Usually, second semester calculus is a sufficient mathematics foundation.  Some of the more complex procedure can require PhD level statistics training to fully exploit.

Doc Muhlbaier

malcolmM78
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Doc !! I believe I have strong logic and organizational skill 🙂 Learning something new is always exciting, but also takes some research and clear vision. I believe this community has definitely supported me !!

Thank you again !

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 6 in conversation