DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Mainframe to SAS FTP formatting sometimes works and sometimes isnt reading the file correctly

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Mainframe to SAS FTP formatting sometimes works and sometimes isnt reading the file correctly

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎10-03-2017 03:01 PM
Super User

Re: Mainframe to SAS FTP formatting sometimes works and sometimes isnt reading the file correctly

Posted in reply to martystoked

Since the error for position happens quite late horizontally (lots of previous PD variables) and vertically (almost 1500000 records without problems), it points to a problem in the creation of the mainframe file. Have it checked by the host programmer responsible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User
Super User

Re: Mainframe to SAS FTP formatting sometimes works and sometimes isnt reading the file correctly

[ Edited ]

Do you just have issues with that one field that is in column 273?

If so then read the column using the $CHAR1. informat and do a proc freq on the observed values , probably with $HEX2. format attached and see what values are actually in your source data.  It is hard to tell in your posting but it looks like the value it is complaining about is  '02'x.  So perhaps it is a binary integer instead of a packed decimal?

Occasional Contributor

According to the copy book that I have that field is a: PIC  S9(1) COMP-3. My other concern though is that it doesn't look to be translating the first part of the program that I have pointed out in my other picture. Not sure if that could be causing the problems? I am running the process now to see if I can get a proc freq on those values.

Super User

'02'x is not a valid value for packed decimal. The second nibble of the byte should contain the hex values C, D or F.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solution
‎10-03-2017 03:01 PM
Super User

Since the error for position happens quite late horizontally (lots of previous PD variables) and vertically (almost 1500000 records without problems), it points to a problem in the creation of the mainframe file. Have it checked by the host programmer responsible.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

That's what I was thinking because it is sometimes working thanks!

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation